Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down SGM Tactical (Surefire) magazines for Saiga .308

DO NOT BUY!
    Here is my "LOVE" story with Surefire:

To: surefiregunmagATaol.com
    Sent: Sun, Feb 6, 2011 7:46 pm
    Subject: SSGMP308

I have seven of your SSGMP308.Two of them are already broken just by the pressure of loaded ammo.Not sure if another five will survive: very shitti material, IMHO!How the hell can I fix them?Any glue?Tnx.

Subject: Re: SSGMP308
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxATyahoo.com
    Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 11:07 AM

Hi TNX,
    The only problem we have had with this mag revolves around the .308's bolt alignment and people putting 25 Rds in the mag and than trying to load the mag into the firearm without holding the bolt open before inserting the mag. If the bolt is ripping the left side of the feed lips off than the bolt is out of alignment and Russian American Armory will have it fixed for you.If you are loading the mag into the firearm without holding the bolt open than you are causing the damage yourself.The material happens to be the best material used in the production of any American Mags that we know of. We have not had any complaints of this nature.Please send the two mags back to us for replacement via USPS with signature required and we will send you new mags. Regards;SGM TACTICAL LLC2404 E. Broadway Ave.Maryville TN. 37804

To: Philip surefiregunmagsATaol.com
    Sent: Mon, Feb 7, 2011 2:46 pm

BTW, mine are 20rdn not 25.I load them with 20rd, not 21, not 19. Just 20. But anyway, you are telling that I must open the bolt before inserting magazine?And then I need to release the bolt and as a result - load the chamber...I wouldn't like to keep the rifle with LOADED CHAMBER - it is unsafe.The bolt of my Saiga is not out of alignment: it works perfectly with original IZHMASH 8rd magazines. And I do not have to hold bolt open while I insert original magazines (I have three of those).So, the problem is not the Saiga's design.I'm not sure that all of my seven magazines are covered by your Warranty anymore, because I cut out those stupid liberal ribs on them - to make magazines straight and flat for carrying them in my chest rig.Just tell me, what kind of glue I can use?Tnx.

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxATyahoo.com
    Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 12:04 PM

Whatever the capacity you cannot load the mag into the firearm with the bolt closed. If you want to keep the firearm with the mag loaded and not have a round in the chamber than load 18 Rd's into the mag. You need to have room for the bolt to pass over the upper round. in the mag. The bolt needs to be able to push the round. down when it passes over the top. The original mag has space for the bolt to push down on the top round. We make mags to meet different state requirements therefore we cannot allow for the possibility of getting another round in them.[/font]There is no glue that we know of that you can use on glass filled Zytel.If you have modified the mags in any way they are not returnable for replacement. Regards;SGM TACTICAL LLCTech Department

xxxxxxxxxxxxATyahoo.com
    To: "Philip" surefiregunmagsATaol.com
    Monday, February 7, 2011 3:44 PM

"We make mags to meet different state requirements therefore we cannot allow for the possibility of getting another round in them."

That's not truth: I also have 7 of your .223Rem 30rd magazines for Saiga and I can easily load any of them with 32 rounds!!! Should I, as a Law Abiding Citizen, report this to ATF?
    Also, your .308Win magazine's body is MUCH thinner than .223Rem. - probably, because of the dimentions of the the Saiga's .308Win reciever.
    In this case you'd make them out of better quality material or reinforce them with the metal, like GlockŪ does with their magazines.

And there's NO "Whatever the capacity you cannot load the mag into the firearm with the bolt closed. If you want to keep the firearm with the mag loaded and not have a round in the chamber than load 18 Rd's into the mag. You need to have room for the bolt to pass over the upper round. in the mag. The bolt needs to be able to push the round. down when it passes over the top. The original mag has space for the bolt to push down on the top round." information on the magazine's Warranty Card or product's description, available for customers.

Otherwise I wouldn't spend my money on those.
    So, what glue should I use?
    Tnx!

So, DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!
    Last edited by .308Winner; February 7th, 2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Additional info

(York County)

Default Re: SGM Tactical (Surefire) magazines for Saiga .308

um,

why not try sending them back to Surefire for Warrantee?

isn't that the point of a warrantee?
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Bucks County)

Contact the munufacturer, also post this is the correct forum if you want people to see it.

(Delaware County)

Plastic feed lips without a metal lining? Could have seen that coming.

Don't bother trying to fix them. Any replacements sent by the manufacturer will probably break again. Learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Plastic feed lips without a metal lining? Could have seen that coming.

Don't bother trying to fix them. Any replacements sent by the manufacturer will probably break again. Learning experience.
    Even if I want to replace them, I can't, because I cut off those stupid ribs on magazines to make them flat: mags didn't fit my chest rig without modification.
    So, I canceled the Warranty by doing that.
    It' ok...
    Screw it!
    I just want to notify other Saiga owners about crappy Surefire .308 stuff.
    DO NOT BUY!!!
    And if you already bought them - return them before they get destroyed.
    Or just keep in mind: they are 18rd NOT 20rd; 23rd NOT 25rd!
    For me it looks like a false advertisement...
    Last edited by .308Winner; February 7th, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Correction

(Delaware County)

no one really makes good aftermarket mags for the saiga 308 AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    no one really makes good aftermarket mags for the saiga 308 AFAIK.
    Not sure about this guy:
    http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-5/S...0rd/Detail.bok

Last edited by .308Winner; February 8th, 2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: correction

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by .308Winner View Post
    From what i hear, they are heavy and the steel is soft. They are not without their own issues. They often need to be dehorned and i've heard of hangups while reloading bending the lips. Their huge floorplates also might not let you carry bullets up either, which some prefer in a chest rig.
    Last edited by victory; February 8th, 2011 at 01:49 AM.