Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Mags?

Default AK Mags?

I have on the way a WASR-10/63. I also ordered 5 Eastern Block Mags are they any good? What are some good mags? I was just at a gun show and there were mags everywhere but there was a guy that had Bulgarian 30rd for $10 ea. but I didn't buy any and I think I should have. I am also interested in the Tapco polymer mags how are they?

Default Re: AK Mags?

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I have on the way a WASR-10/63. I also ordered 5 Eastern Block Mags are they any good? What are some good mags? I was just at a gun show and there were mags everywhere but there was a guy that had Bulgarian 30rd for $10 ea. but I didn't buy any and I think I should have. I am also interested in the Tapco polymer mags how are they?
    Do you need the 3 US-922r parts from the magazine? If not...

I would buy mil surplus steel mags. They are cheap, rugged, and they work. They are also easy to fix and clean.

I would avoid Tapco polymer AK mags for anything other than recreational shooting, and maybe even for that. They don't have any metal reinforcement at the important points on the mag.

(Lancaster County)

Get the surplus mags, they are fine, if foreign militarily use them I think they'll hold up.
    If you can buy them locally, online is good too but you can't inspect them until they arrive. Just look for dents, don't worry about the finish it doesn't do a thing for the function.
    Average price for a steel 30 is about $15, you can find better deals though.

Becareful with the Bulgy 30 round mags at $10, they might be for the AK74 (5.45x39), there's a lot of venders selling painted ones for that price right now.

like they said above the surplus ones are nice and easy to clean, i also have some Tapco mags and i love them

(Philadelphia County)

Any eastern bloc steel mags are fine. Hungarian 20 rounders are good for the range and take up less space.

Bulgarian "Circle 10" polymer mags have steel reinforced tabs and feed lips and are great (identified by a circle with a "10" in it). There are other bulgarian polymer mags that are making the rounds right now that don't have reinforced feed lips that should be avoided.

I'm not a fan of any other polymer mags (except russian which are prohibitively expensive and rare). The domestically produced polymer mags might be fine for range use but they aren't nearly as durable as any of the commie stuff.

Stay with the common regular old metal ones. they all work just as well. IIRC the AK weapon system does not suffer from the feeding problems that plague the AR15s. Im not a fan of aftermarket plastic mags, it just ruins the look.

(Allegheny County)

i have pretty extensive experience with most of the ak mags on the market except the newest American made poly ones. my favorites are the bulgy circle 10 waffles and the Chinese steel flatbacks. the euro steel mags are great and will serve as well as any! the Hungarian 20 rounders are designed for the AMD 65 series and are very well made and reliable. the 40 rounders you see occasionally are actually for the RPK light machineguns and will work just as well but are more bulky!

I've used tapco mags and they were terrible!
    Last edited by mpi; April 26th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Washington County)

Never had an issue with the Tapco mags other than the 20 rounders being a very tight fit, which I suspect is because they are made to fit those rifles with wobbly mag issues. Ive only run a couple hundred rounds through my 30 round poly tapco mags, but no issues. I plan on lightly sanding the other mags to make sure they fit a little less snug.

The Hungarian 20 rounders are great, but expensive for AK mags (IMHO)

(Philadelphia County)

Tapco, Surefire and whatever other domestic AK mags might function fine but they will break if dropped with a load in them.

Arsenal used to have a good video of all the big name domestic mags failing different 'drop tests', often spectacularly. (The video they have up now only shows the aftermarket bulgarian mags, presumably the other US manufacturers were not happy about seeing their names in Arsenals video)

I'd rather save money and buy steel or spend more for Circle 10s, but that's just me.

Exclamation Re: AK Mags?

If you don't find what you're looking for, I just posted a direct link to AK Mags in the Commercial Sales Section that you may find interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast