Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Best scope for .17HMR

My brother-in-law won a .17HMR rifle from out club last year, and we finally got together to go out and shoot...

Only problem is that he bought a cheap 4x scope for it... and while it shoots right on the money at 50 yards it is really hard to use for anything beyond that.

What power of scope do you avid .17 users recommend ??? I have NO idea as I never used one before and want to get him the best advice possible... he is a GOOD brother-in-law.....and want to keep it that way....

Just want something that works out to say 200 yards ( maybe a little longer if need be...lol )...

Thanks...

(York County)

Default Re: Best scope for .17HMR

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    My brother-in-law won a .17HMR rifle from out club last year, and we finally got together to go out and shoot...

Only problem is that he bought a cheap 4x scope for it... and while it shoots right on the money at 50 yards it is really hard to use for anything beyond that.

What power of scope do you avid .17 users recommend ??? I have NO idea as I never used one before and want to get him the best advice possible... he is a GOOD brother-in-law.....and want to keep it that way....

Just want something that works out to say 200 yards ( maybe a little longer if need be...lol )...

Thanks...
    I also won a .17 HMR. I put a BSA Sweet Seventeen 3-12 x 40 on it. They run about 100 bucks and are set up for the 17 grain bullet. I think they also make a 3-9 and a 6-18. It is a good enough scope for a Marlin 917. Over all I am very happy with the combination. Very accurate, although I did install a Basix trigger.
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

Default Re: Best scope for .17HMR

Maybe it's just me, but I like big glass for any of my rifles that are capable of MOA or better. For rimfires in that category, I want something with an AO. You are really pushing it to expect 200 yard performance from your hummer - not that it isn't accurate, but that 17 gr pill is awfully susceptible to any wind. I like to shoot at 100 yds, but really have the most fun at 50 yds (I have one-hole disease).

Since your friend's rifle didn't cost anything (other than the price of the raffle ticket), it is the perfect candidate for a decent scope. I'm thinking a Weaver V-16 would make good use of the rifles abilities. If he doesn't want to spend that kind of money, and doesn't care about the AO (a fixed parallax scope of this magnification will be set-up for centerfire cartridges, meaning you may be slightly out of focus if you shoot closer than 50 yds), then I'd take a serious look at that new Redfield 4-12X40 scope. MSRP is $210 to $220 (dependent on reticle chosen), which means that its street price would probably be around $175 to $195. How can you beat that for an American made scope, made in the same factory as Leupolds?

The hummer is a ball to shoot. Find out which ammo it likes best and you can shoot flies at 50 yds.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member