Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default The Possiblities are endless !!!

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in but here we go.

Today my dad comes up to me and tells me that him and my mom want to buy me a gun, as a college graduation present !!!!

My mind is running on what gun to pick . I want something fun, I already have the hunting shotguns/rifles pretty much covered for now .

Quick run down just bought a Springfield 1911 this summer so I have a full size pistol( not that I would be against another one ). Also I already have an AK.

I was thinking either an AR- 15, AR -10, or a compact/subcompact pistol for carrying ( would love an M1A but that's pushing it money wise ) .
    The AR I want to be full size , I don't want a carbine at the moment.

Would love some input from you guys !!!! Anything I'm missing ?
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: The Possiblities are endless !!!

Quote Originally Posted by thejeanmachine16 View Post
    Wasn't sure what forum to put this in but here we go.

Today my dad comes up to me and tells me that him and my mom want to buy me a gun, as a college graduation present !!!!

My mind is running on what gun to pick . I want something fun, I already have the hunting shotguns/rifles pretty much covered for now .

Quick run down just bought a Springfield 1911 this summer so I have a full size pistol( not that I would be against another one ). Also I already have an AK.

I was thinking either an AR- 15, AR -10, or a compact/subcompact pistol for carrying ( would love an M1A but that's pushing it money wise ) .
    The AR I want to be full size , I don't want a carbine at the moment.

Would love some input from you guys !!!! Anything I'm missing ?
    Why not a romanian psl?Decently accurate with a hard hitting 7.62x54r cartidge(which is pretty cheap for the size it is in terms of surplus) comes with a scope and scope mount and you can use the iron sights as well...plus its awesome aim surplus is selling em for 500 something.
    Gott mit uns

(Butler County)

you could go the AR route. highly addictive my son has a decked out S&W M&P15 and i have a S&W M&P15/22 all decked out wich is a blast to shoot and cheap on ammo vs 223/5.56 ammo.

(Allegheny County)

If you want an AR-styled rifle - and in cheap to shoot .22LR - the Umarex "Colt" is available in the 20" M16A4 rifle version, in addition to their carbines.

The word on the 'net is that these Walther-made Umarex "Colts" are freakin accurate. I'm looking forward to the Umarex "H&K 416".

Other companies do indeed still make real AR 20" rifles in 5.56.

You say you have an AK - for commonality of caliber consider a SAIGA; laser-accurate for a 16" AK action.

Or an SKS. Someone on our classifieds here has/had an SKS "Para" - a not-often-seen CHICOM version made specific for the USA market in the pre-ban 80's. And the full-size SKS, Russian or CHICOM; affordable and collectible.

Anyway, you're right - waaaaaaaaaaaay too many possibilities. Lever guns - Henry rifles in all calibers, semi's - same thing, bolt guns - same.

You have a lot of thinking to do.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

I just picked up a FAL .308 cal. built by Century and I LOVE it, shoots great, feels great and looks SWEET ! DSA has a para lower which is the folding stock (runs about $400 and with the scope mount $500) I paid $750 for my FAL with 4 mags and free shipping, couldn't be happier. I also have 2 AK's, the 47 and the polish tantal, and am picking up an AR-15 next week, it's a Stag Arms 20" barrel and is left handed so I just couldn't resist ! I was like you, wanted a good variety. Also I was looking at the AR-10 along with the FAL, the FAL, IMO, was nicer, cheaper mags and parts and has by far proven itself, has an ajustable gas system which is awesome also. I vote FAL, you'll love it.

Also the Sig .556 I don't think they have a 20" barrel one but it has a 2 position gas system, as opposed to the FAL's which is 10 i believe actually maybe 20 because it goes in halves also, i.e 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and so on.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Centre County)

If it were me in your shoes, I'd ask for either an AR-15 A3, a Garand or a FAL.

The AR would definitely be the cheapest to feed. The Garand probably the coolest to own and most fun to shoot. And the FAL the best for when the undead mount their revenge.

You just gotta decide which is most important to you; economy, fun, or survival.

(Lycoming County)

starting to think more serious about a FAL
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

(Lebanon County)

M1!

Of mine, my favorite. Against my AR, XD, Shotgun, and a PS90.
    I love that big ol' Garand more every time I shoot it.

My Buddy got his son Thompson sub machine gun(semi Auto) for college Graduation.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Centre County)

As a graduation present have them get you a CMP Service grade M1. You'll have a good shooter AND a piece of history.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast