Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Cool Bulgarian AK-74 by CAI

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/3751

Does anyone have any experience with this specific rifle(Bulgarian AK-74 NDS-3 by CAI)?
    I know the quality of CAI rifles is questionable, but for an AK, and for the price, it may be what I'm looking for.

Any input is much appreciated!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bulgarian AK-74 by CAI

The Century Bulgie "AK-74" is much like their Yugo AKMs; mil-surp parts kits built up on NoDakSpud recvrs and with non-chrome-lined Green Mtn bbls and other 922-compliant US parts.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

And just like the Yugo's I bought, my CAI AK-74 has been trouble free and accurate.

And they're $349 delivered, with 2 mags, from Centerfire Systems right now, with extra mags at $10 each.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-bul.aspx

If I didn't already have four AK74's I'd pick one up at that price. (I keep telling myself that, but I'll probably end up buying another one anyway. For my son. yeah, that's it.)

(Lancaster County)

I'm interested to hear reports on this one too. I've seen the ad from Centerfire and have a very hard time resisting a sub $400 AK of any sort, but the CAI thing scares me off.

I've seen them in person, the builds look OK, similar to their Tantals. I'm scared of the US barrel though, especially when other consistent builds are out there for not much more money.

The real downside to me is the stock set. It's the fugly black polymer garbage they've used on Yugo's and WASR's that heats up beyond belief--it'll need to be replaced.

This shouldn't be a big ordeal, and they should be able to be replaced with surplus stocks.

I would assume the 6 main 922r parts are:
    barrel
    receiver
    fcg (3)
    pistol grip
    totalling 6 parts.

If that's the case, and they're decent shooters, I may have to grab one.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    The Century Bulgie "AK-74" is much like their Yugo AKMs; mil-surp parts kits built up on NoDakSpud recvrs and with non-chrome-lined Green Mtn bbls and other 922-compliant US parts.
    Scroll down a little after klicken sie linken:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

This is just another FYI post and not to bust any balls. It seems Green Mountain is responding to its customer base.

I have no idea whether the CAI Bulgarian 74 has the chrome barrel or not. Someone here might just want to call CAI and ask directly. They'd be complete dumbasses (and, yes, they have been dumbasses before) to bring out a gun that has issues with corrosive ammunition.

If it is chrome lined - $350 for a 74 is pretty tempting, especially given the price of 5.45 spam.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Allegheny County)

There has been conflicting reports about the barrel. People have claimed to have called CFS and asked if the barrels are chrome-lined. Some people are claiming that they said yes, while others are reporting that they said no.

I would be very hesitant to by a '74 without a chrome-lined barrel.

TGI was selling their "truck" guns for a little over $400 not that long ago. Not sure if they still have them or not, but they were bulgy kits with chrome-lined barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

I don't know if the barrels are chrome lined or not, but I do know that after firing 120 rounds of the current cheap surplus the only cleaning I did was a bore snake with CLP on it, and a quick spray on the bolt, carrier, and action.

Two weeks later I took the rifle apart; no signs of any corrosion.

(Allegheny County)

FWIW,

Neither of my Yugos have chrome-lined GMtn bbls.
    The "missing chrome" was supposedly the root of the Tantal keyhole issues - but have no idea if the bbl was a GMtn bbl or not.
    Nothing about chrome-lining was touted on the Century or J&G sites about these "Bulgie AK-74s".

Regardless, chrome isn't "mandatory" if the user is disciplined to cleaning their guns right away if they suspect their ammo is corrosive.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Wayne County)

What are the ballistics of this round. I've found numbers for muzzle velocity and energy but nothing that deals with drop. As in if it's zeroed at 100, where would it be expected to hit at 200.

(York County)

I got two from this first batch CFS sold a week ago. Expect a $350 rifle and no more. My WASR I picked up 2 years ago was in better shape than both of these. I just got done reparing one of mine where the century monkeys only put the gas block pins in half way before bending them because they were beating them with a hammer. I noticed on my other 74 when I was swapping furniture that the front sight pin hole is in the shape of a figure 8 because of the sloppy demill process. A few rivets I am also going to replace as they are crooked as an olds dog dick.

There are also some reports of these keyholing like the early century put together tantals. Unfortunately I am out of this ammo and havent been able to test them. Anybody in Mechanicsburg area have any of the 5.45 ammo for a decent price while I wait for my cases to arrive?

Be aware that the current batch sold will not have scope rails and the receiver is suposedly from elk river.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast