Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM

(Lehigh County)
GunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to GunMan21
Default Best AR-15 for $1,000?

Looking to get my first AR-15, gunna be for SHTF and range. Budget is 1k, so I'm expecting an entry level, thats fine. Will almost definitely get a red dot sight or some type of optics in the future. Only AR I've fired was S&W M&P. It was nice, but i wasnt in love.

Right now it seems like Stag, Rock River Arms, and DPMS are whats in my price range. Heard bad things about Olympic. Also heard Stag and RRA are pretty much equals. Any other companies I'm missing?

Need helping narrowing it down because there are just way too many choices haha. Again, best AR for 1k.

thanks guys

*****edited the use being for SHTF instead of HD. I have a nightstand gun and a 12ga for regular HD. This AR is for when the zombies come

Last edited by GunMan21; February 11th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM

(Bucks County)
fritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best AR-15 for $1,000?

RRA would be my choice beautiful trigger (match grade) can't comment on Stag.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Grand Member

7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute7998 has a reputation beyond repute

A $1000 buys ya a lot of AR these days. Anyone that tells you otherwise probably paid too much in the last few months.
Surplus City has Colt M-4 LEO trade-ins for $699, and a few other different styles mostly Colt. Tanners has NIB 6920's for $1099 and I'm sure they would do better if you had cash. Or I seen a CAI C15 for $499 but...
BTW by HD you mean SHTF right? I wouldn't recommend a AR for HD maybe just a tad too much over penetration.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
max384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond repute

My vote is on the S&W. You have the legendary warranty and customer service that comes with any of their firearms. It is also the most reliable AR-15/M-16/M-4 I've ever fired. I did a lot of research before I bought my M&P-15. It came down to reliability. In the sub-$1k price range, you're not gonna notice much of a difference in the accuracy or trigger pull in a stock gun IMO. What it comes down to is reliability. I've fired several thousand rounds through mine with no hiccups whatsoever.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
nfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
Looking to get my first AR-15, gunna be for HD and range. Budget is 1k, so I'm expecting an entry level, thats fine. Will almost definitely get a red dot sight or some type of optics in the future. Only AR I've fired was S&W M&P. It was nice, but i wasnt in love.

Right now it seems like Stag, Rock River Arms, and DPMS are whats in my price range. Heard bad things about Olympic. Also heard Stag and RRA are pretty much equals. Any other companies I'm missing?

Need helping narrowing it down because there are just way too many choices haha. Again, best AR for 1k.

thanks guys
If you visit enough AR boards on the 'net you will read bad things about EVERY brand of AR. Especially a small but vocal group with hard-ons for Oly's that parrot shitt they read from somewhere else - likely folks that never owned or shot one. It all depends on who's ox was gored and what brand bigotry they personally have.

But I digress; Colts hold their value the most. Unless you paid $1200.00 for an LE6920 and you missed the cheaper Surplus City used PD 6920's.

You will soon be visited by The People of the Chart; and they will steer you to where to put your money. After an 8-page slap fight over which AR is the best.

Old February 11th, 2010, 12:22 AM

(Cumberland County)
jachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
A $1000 buys ya a lot of AR these days. Anyone that tells you otherwise probably paid too much in the last few months.
Surplus City has Colt M-4 LEO trade-ins for $699, and a few other different styles mostly Colt. Tanners has NIB 6920's for $1099 and I'm sure they would do better if you had cash. Or I seen a CAI C15 for $499 but...
BTW by HD you mean SHTF right? I wouldn't recommend a AR for HD maybe just a tad too much over penetration.
I think you should google "ar15 as home defense weapon" and watch the video (i'm sorry I don't have the exact address right now).

It gives a pretty awesome comparison about which calibers are best for HD situations. 9mm, .45, 12 ga. 00 buck, 5.56/.223, and several others are covered.

After watching this, you may change your attitude towards the AR as the go-to HD weapon of choice.

All that being said, I think most of the ARs made today are pretty equal in the given <$1000 price range. S&W, bushmaster, and DPMS are a few of the ones with the best feel IMHO, but to each his own.

Personally, I would lean towards a S&W for the reasons already mentioned above. Great CS, warranty, quality control, etc.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:30 AM

(Lehigh County)
GunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond reputeGunMan21 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to GunMan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

You will soon be visited by The People of the Chart; and they will steer you to where to put your money. After an 8-page slap fight over which AR is the best.

ya figured this was done to death a million times lol....but my story has a twist cuz i need the best for 1k or less, not just all around or w/e....every company has their own entry model im sure and i just dont know enough about them all.

i did find "the chart" on ar-15.com. RRA and DPMS all waaaaaay in the back lol, which is so contrary to what i heard. Thats why this question is on this site instead of theirs, i dont really want any elitist biased answers, im not gunna shoot a walnut out of a tree 400 yards away, just normal range stuff and for dooms day shtf scenarios
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:43 AM

(Bucks County)
fritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond reputefritz1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
ya figured this was done to death a million times lol....but my story has a twist cuz i need the best for 1k or less, not just all around or w/e....every company has their own entry model im sure and i just dont know enough about them all.

i did find "the chart" on ar-15.com. RRA and DPMS all waaaaaay in the back lol, which is so contrary to what i heard. Thats why this question is on this site instead of theirs, i dont really want any elitist biased answers, im not gunna shoot a walnut out of a tree 400 yards away, just normal range stuff and for dooms day shtf scenarios
You'll find that many AR15.com guys trash anything sub $1500 and up but there is a lot of good info there. also M4carbine.net.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM

(York County)
24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute24/7dude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz1 View Post
RRA would be my choice beautiful trigger (match grade) can't comment on Stag.
+1 for RRA
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM

(Cumberland County)
brewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond reputebrewguy has a reputation beyond repute

A couple weeks back a local shop in York posted in our classified that he had the new piston Stag 8L (I think) for $999. Might want to look him up.