Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 29th, 2007

(Allegheny County)
ragtime8922 is on a distinguished road
Default Best gas piston assault rifle?

I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.

(This thread is not intended to cause an argument that DI is good or bad so lets just make it a non-issue. DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 29th, 2007

(Luzerne County)
Holleta will become famous soon enoughHolleta will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

Of the rifles you mentioned the FAL seems to be the best piston rod platform to me. It combines a great balance of accuracy, dependability and featues.

The 308 caliber is tough to beat for accuracy, distance, power, ammo cost and ammo availability.
Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
"Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple
Old May 29th, 2007

VeryPrivate is on a distinguished road

My future plans are to equip one of my AR's with the GSR-35 kit from Ares Defense. This converts a regular AR to a gas piston for less money than other options. I am looking forward to the reduction in cleaning time when I fire the AR. There are other options, but they start at about $1000. I have heard good things about the ZM Weapons LR-300 which has a folding stock and the HK416. I like the Robinson XCR, but it is hard to find and expensive. I will not shell out the cash to own one until I get to feel one. Their specs look good.
Old May 29th, 2007

VeryPrivate is on a distinguished road

As for caliber, I am sticking with 5.56mm. 6.8 mm SPC looks interesting, and someday I might get an upper for it. The 6.5mm MPC also looked interesting, but is not likely to catch on in wide numbers.
Old May 29th, 2007

(Allegheny County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
My future plans are to equip one of my AR's with the GSR-35 kit from Ares Defense. This converts a regular AR to a gas piston for less money than other options. I am looking forward to the reduction in cleaning time when I fire the AR. There are other options, but they start at about $1000. I have heard good things about the ZM Weapons LR-300 which has a folding stock and the HK416. I like the Robinson XCR, but it is hard to find and expensive. I will not shell out the cash to own one until I get to feel one. Their specs look good.
I feel the same about the XCR. I love the ease of takedown/barrel replacement but you just have to get one in your hands before making that jump. Are they accurate as the AR? Also, the SCAR and Magpul Masada look intersting enough to wait it out but the Dems will be in office right about when the SCAR is going to be available...unless we all support Ron Paul successfully.
Old May 29th, 2007
Grand Member

(York County)
RoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, Folks...the rifles we discuss here are sporting rifles with detachable magazine..."assault rifles" are selective fire or full automative fire.
Old May 29th, 2007
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

It depends on your criteria as to what you'd consider best. Me, I'd choice two: an Krink 7.62x39 for close quarters and a FAL 7.62 NATO for fields & such.

If you want something that takes abuse and good for close quarter engagements - the AK is the one. I've seen them work in some of the harshest conditions, hot/cold/muddy/sandy, and none failed to go bang. They aren't quite as accurate as some of the other battle rifles though, but if properly sighted they can do what you need them to do.

If you want +150yrd accuracy, well the above would probably come in last. The AR's are a lot more accurate, but cant take the harsh conditions that the AK or some other rifles can. I'm not too keen on the 233/5.56 cartridge for anything more than rodents - it has worked for the last 40 years.

FAL in 7.62 NATO has performed quite well for many countries in many conditions. The 7.62(308 Win) has a lot more power than the 5.56 or the 7.62x39 cartridges. The rifle overall can be quite accurate as well.

For clarity: in saying "engagements" = I mean paper targets, or self defensive situations(for the Politically Correct Police)
Old May 29th, 2007

(Allegheny County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
Remember, Folks...the rifles we discuss here are sporting rifles with detachable magazine..."assault rifles" are selective fire or full automative fire.
Did I say "assault rfile"? I meant to say "Best gas piston sporting rifle with detachable magazine."
Old May 29th, 2007
Grand Member

aubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem as I see it with the FAL is it's huge and not such a good choice if one must clear rooms. Not to mention that you won't have any hearing firing a .308 indoors.

The XCR seems to be a nice choice if one wanted to buy a complete package.

I was in Seneca Arms today and someone brought in a Sig 556. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I definately like AR15 platforms over the Sig 556. I also dislike the large price tag on the Sig 556. Considering, you can buy two complete AR15s for the price of the Sig 556.

Those Ares kits seem to be the ticket for those that already have AR15s and they don't want to spend the $1k on a piston upper. I've seen mostly good reviews on them, but some have had their problems. I'll wait til all the bugs are worked out before I consder an Ares kit. I also dislike the plastic hanguards, so when the FF forends are available...I will probably buy one.

I would go 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC because the SPC does not offer a wide variety of bullet weights. The Grendel offers better bullet selections even though AA is a pain to deal with. I'd get a 6.5 Sabre Defence upper because SD is the cat's meow.

Holleta...I just noticed that your age now says 40...dude you are about to take the dirt nap soon. LOL
Old May 29th, 2007

(Luzerne County)
Holleta will become famous soon enoughHolleta will become famous soon enough

Gee.....thanks for noticing Aub. Thanks for the "words of encouragement too"......I guess that's what friends are for??

+1 for Aubs comments on the piston AR kits, if it ain't broke (though many will attempt to tell you that it is) why fix it? I have really come to appreciate USGI firearms for their design elements and accuracy, when they start using a piston upper I will consider what they are using. Until then....all my "dirty" gas blowback ARs work quite well thank you very much.
Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
"Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple