Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM

(Erie County)
KIGY is on a distinguished road
Smile Who makes the best AR15 ?

I'm shopping for my very first AR15 rifle and I don't know much about it.In the service I used the AKM (AK-47) Romanian made.I'm looking for QUALITY and MIL SPECS for my new AR15.I'd rather spend a few extra $$$$$ and get it right the first time.What do you say? COLT or BUSHMASTER ? Thanks !

Last edited by danp; November 6th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

(Allegheny County)
JustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

www.slr15.com
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Grand Member

(Westmoreland County)
TonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond repute

Colt 6920.

"... there's trained and untrained" (Denzel Washington -- Man on Fire)
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
LittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond reputeLittleRedToyota has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIGY View Post
COLT or BUSHMASTER ? Thanks !
are you trying to start a fight? seriously, though, you'll get all kinds of opinions on this question.

perhaps the most common answer will be colt...since that is what the military uses. i would not disagree, but they are considerably more expensive than other brands, and there are many other makers of high quality ARs.

stag is the same quality as bushmaster (and RRA, etc. etc.) for significantly less money. stag is the retail outlet of CMT (continental machine and tool) which makes many of the parts that other manufacturers put into their ARs. in fact, the smith & wesson M&P AR15 is a re-branded stag with a higher price tag.

if you want to spend more, go for it, but in the world of ARs, higher price does not necessarily mean higher quality, so don't assume one maker is better than another just because their rifles are more expensive.

actually, come to think of it, lycanthrope prolly makes the best ARs
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
LorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to LorDiego01 Send a message via Yahoo to LorDiego01

I hear DPMS makes one damn good rifle.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
D-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond reputeD-FENS has a reputation beyond repute

I am a total newb. With that said...

I'm in the market for an AR myself but since it's my first, I don't want to go overboard. Here's what I've learned during my quest. BUCKMARK and Lycanthrope has been very helpful in this process.

You'll want to look for something (probably) like an A3 upper which is a flat-top without the carry handle. You can get a detachable carry handle with the flat tops. This is good if you want to mount a scope or red dot.

It really depends on your budget. If you want to go all out, get the Colt. The model mentioned above is the one used by the military, minus full-auto. This will run you 1200-1300, as far as I know.

A Stag arms upper and lower was suggested to me as I want to keep my build under 800. Buy the upper and lower separate to save a few bucks. You can then put them together and insert the two pins to attach them.

The Stag Arms upper comes with the Chrome lined barrel which is important for barrel longevity. The one I have picked out is the Stag Arms complete upper, chrome lined 16" barrel in a 1:9 twist (everyone will give you a different opinion on twist, the 1:9 is just the signal above the noise that I got). Mine is specced out because I won't be doing a lot of long range shooting, more or less just plinking.

A complete Stag Arms lower was also suggested. This will have to be shipped to an FFL. GunrunnersofPA is a great FFL if you're in Allegheny Co. Total cost of mine is about 750 including shipping.

Again, I'm, a total newb. This is just what I've gathered lately and what I'll be purchasing in a few weeks.

EDIT: Another reason for the Stag complete upper and complete lower is the lifetime warranty on both. It's not gonna help you if SHTF but it's a great resource until then.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Grand Member

bogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond repute

colt probably has the best resale value.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

COLT and LMT

These are the only two companies that are making rifles for the US Military that will sell to civillians. FN will not.

Colt and LMT make rifles the way the Govt says they need to be. They can't take short cuts.

Bushmaster takes so many shortcuts on their rifles, your head will explode trying to figure them all out.

If I had a wad of money to spend on the best out of the box M4.... TonyF was spot on... The COLT 6920.

For a rifle less than $800, a Stag Arms is hard to beat IMHO.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM

(Wayne County)
Harvey_Birdman is on a distinguished road

I hear good things about RRA and the Wylde chamber (which allows for interchangable use of 5.56 and .223). I've been considering picking one up later this Spring before another AWB goes into effect.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_Birdman View Post
I hear good things about RRA and the Wylde chamber (which allows for interchangable use of 5.56 and .223). I've been considering picking one up later this Spring before another AWB goes into effect.
You can run .223 Rem. in any AR15 chambered for 556