Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Affordable hunting rifle options

After years of trying to convince him, my brother is finally going to go hunting. He was asking me about what kind of rifle he should get. I told him get a good used gun. He wants to buy new for some reason and I don't honestly know much about hunting rifle companies. I heard there are many great low price options out.
    I shoot winchester but they are above his price range. He wants to spend $800 for a rifle+scope. Doesn't like 30-06 because of the kick but does like .308 and .243. I heard savages were good. What do y'all think

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Affordable hunting rifle options

I was looking into an affordable bolt action and settled on a Savage. I have not yet made the purchase but I research everything I buy and the Accutriger and accustock models really look impressive with good reviews. Other wise sell him on the virtues of the traditional Pa 30-30 lever gun. Marlins can be had cheap if he does not want the expense of a Winchester 94.
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

(Northampton County)

Recoil with a 30-06 is all in the loading.
    It's like the .38spl of the rifle world.
    Tons of loadings in varying bullet weights from factory ammo. If reloading the options become even greater.

Savage Axis 2 is a great entry level rifle.

If he is dead against a 30-06 have him take a look at 7mm-08.

(Northampton County)

I have 2 friends with .30-06 hunting rifles and the kick is like nothing. One is plastic. And I am recoil sensitive.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have 2 friends with .30-06 hunting rifles and the kick is like nothing. One is plastic. And I am recoil sensitive.
    Their kick isn't all that bad. I know personally when i was target shooting with my friend I was shooting my 308, then I tried his 30-06 which had noticeably more kick. I barely feel my 308 but after the first shot of his I started flinching a little (inexperience problem) 30-06 is a better bullet no doubt but I don't think all that power is completely neccasary for white tail.

I just checked the axisII. Wow that's awesome!!! Comes with a adjustable trigger, a 10x1" 22" barrel and a 3x9 all for under 500! That's a great deal. I didn't know they made guns where the owner could easily adjust the trigger.
    I'm trying to convince my brother to make an acct here. But until he does I'll relay the advice.

(Montgomery County)

Not very familiar with bolt guns but I do know the Ruger American is a great option and value.

I also don't think recoil is much different between .308 and 30-06?

If rifle is going to be used for PA Whitetail...243 is a great choice. Low recoil and plenty of power for PA Whitetail.

Savage has rebates of $50 on Axis rifles.

Axis I does not come with accutrigger, but you can reduce trigger pull by adding a pen spring or you can buy aftermarket trigger.

Axis II comes with accutrigger.

I'd suggest getting a Boyd's laminate stock if you get an Axis as the Axis factory stock is horrible. I modified mine with a lot of time/sweat.

With the money your brother is going to save...spend the rest on good optics and Boyd's stock and he will be at his price point of $800.

http://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles-...ufacturer=3738

I wouldn't get the packaged deal from Savage as the optics on the package rifles are crap.

The 260 Remington is also a nice caliber if you want something that hits harder and has awesome BC for longer shots.

(Wayne County)

Ruger American for $368 in .308.

Scope it with a Burris Fullfield 2-7X35 @ $149

Put it in the most bad ass rings you can afford, like Badger Ordnance 30mm with 1" reducers.

$150 ish if you can find a deal.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Jefferson County)

The .308's kick isn't much less than the .30-06. Recoil is all relative to the weight of the gun, the bullet weight, and the acceleration and velocity of the bullet.

Since a .308 rifle weighs the same as a .30-06, the bullets are of the same weight, and the bullet accelerates nearly as quick, and is only a couple hundred FPS slower in velocity - recoil will be nearly the same as the .30-06.

If recoil is a problem with the '06, then a .243, a .260, or a 7mm-08 might be a better option.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

What ever rifle you decide to get him, don't go to your gunsmith for repairs!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast