Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM

(Chester County)
sprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond repute
Default problems with ak 47

Was hoping to get some advice from you AK guys.I just purchased a new Century Arms centurian 39 and had some issues with it.It will not chamber the first round from a magazine when pulling back the charging handle and realeasing it.The round strips from the mag and loads half way into the chamber and the bolt locks up about one inch from it's fully closed position.It will feed if i keep my hand on the charging handle and forcefully ride it forward.Never had to do any thing other than pull back and release the charging handle on any other semi auto i've owned.Is this normal for an AK? Also the rifle with have the same failure when fired from a bench but functions fine when firing offhand.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 1st, 2013, 11:33 AM

USMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond reputeUSMC3531 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: problems with ak 47

How many rounds have been fired through it? When shooting from the bench are you putting pressure on the mag? Two things come to mind 1. tight headspace (usualy firing 100 rounds will break it in) 2. improperly fitting mag, either it could be the mag or if the mag is being forced to where it doesnt belong.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM

(Chester County)
sprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond reputesprint51 has a reputation beyond repute

only have 60 rounds thru it.I was using the Tapco mags that were shipped with the rifle.Don't believe i was putting any pressure on the mags when shooting off the bench.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:47 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Carbon County)
Svickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
only have 60 rounds thru it.I was using the Tapco mags that were shipped with the rifle.Don't believe i was putting any pressure on the mags when shooting off the bench.
id try different mags numero uno...and throw that junk away...sounds like tight head space as mentioned...check with a no go gauge...
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM

(Chester County)

will do,thanks!
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Grand Member

bogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was a joke. Trouble with ak? Impossible. ak's never have trouble, until i saw "century arms" From what I've read over the years about century arms, i'll never own another one. I had a cetme from century.
Biggest hunk of crap i ever owned. Wouldn't run no matter what you did. Sold it at a profit
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM

(Chester County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
I thought this thread was a joke. Trouble with ak? Impossible. ak's never have trouble, until i saw "century arms" From what I've read over the years about century arms, i'll never own another one. I had a cetme from century.
Biggest hunk of crap i ever owned. Wouldn't run no matter what you did. Sold it at a profit
i was hoping since this one is 100% american made with a milled reciever it would at least be reliable.Any recomendations for mags?
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Carbon County)
Svickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i was hoping since this one is 100% american made with a milled reciever it would at least be reliable.Any recomendations for mags?
surplus steel European...Izzy or Tula Bakes...Russina Slabsides, etc...basically as long as it doesnt say tapco on it should be ok...korean mags are not the best steel
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Grand Member

bogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know what make they are but they are metal. You can run them over with a truck and they wont break. My ak is chinese, the mags came with it.
I'll see if i can tell what make they are and get back to you.
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Grand Member

Here are two of my mags. The one with the rib is the one i like. Built like a tank.