Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Delaware County)
Rik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond repute
Default AK 47 Parts Kits

Back in January I ordered an AK receiver from NoDAK Spud and now that it's finally come in I'm thinking about putting an AK together. I'm not in a huge rush (the purchase was just a hedge in case the congress critters decided to ban them again) so I'm wondering if they prices on the kits have come back down again or if it would be better to wait a few months? I'm looking for a plain Jane fixed stock setup w/ a barrel.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Banned

(York County)
justashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AK 47 Parts Kits

parts kits are now in the $400-700 range if in good condition and original barrel. harder to find by the day. you missed the boat. i still have 4 unbuilt unissued kits. wish i had more.
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM

(Lehigh County)
Interceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond reputeInterceptor has a reputation beyond repute

Apex has Romanian kits for $325 and new Romanian barrels for $180. I think that's about as good as it gets at the moment unless you get lucky on Gunbroker.
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:32 AM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Delaware County)
Rik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond reputeRik Bitter has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I should wait a while longer to see if prices will return to pre-Sandy Hook levels. When all of those panic-bought AKs start hitting the market I think parts kit prices will start dropping.

That's my theory anyhow.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM

(Washington County)
marinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond reputemarinville has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend at least getting the barrel now. Cold hammer forged chrome lined commie barrels are not getting any easier to come by and they certainly won't be getting cheaper ever, due to the import barrel ban. Unless you don't mind using a US barrel, in that case disregard.

Honestly though, I don't believe kits will be getting any cheaper either. They seem to go up in price every year. I would not consider those to be panic prices. The days of cheap kits are gone, IMO.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Grand Member

(Butler County)
bortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond reputebortle has a reputation beyond repute

I see Egyptian non-matching kits for $200. You'll still need a receiver, barrel and some other small parts.
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
mojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond repute

Kit prices aren't going to really come down. Kits with original barrels will only go up. There will be shipments from time to time that will come in, they may be at somewhat reasonable prices. Nothing is guaranteed though. The overseas dealers know what the situation is here and will try to get as much as they can for their stuff.

If you really don't care what you get, then you might be fine. Cole's has Egyptian kits for $199, which is a pretty good price.

Non-US barrels will be hard to find .. if that's important to you, I would pick one up as soon as one comes up. The Romanian factories have said that they aren't producing spare barrels. They are focused on building complete rifles for the short to intermediate term.
WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Grand Member

(Tioga County)
wanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond repute

Like the Mosin's, the Russians and it's allies produced millions of AK-47's and AKM's, but like everything the Russians made it was all designed to be throw aways and I suspect many of these guns have been used up and destroyed by now. Plus add in that many are not going to take the time to recycle their guns and have them neatly cut up to ATF spec, so there will only be a certain limit to supply.
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

(York County)
justashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond reputejustashooter has a reputation beyond repute

as a kit builder for 15 years now, here's how i remember it:

kit importation was spotty until the mid 90's. the advent of the internet (ca 2000) dramatically increased the marketability of kits thru sales exposure and the origin of kit building forums. kit importation went full tilt from 1999-2006. the ATF stopped approving form 6 importation documents for kits with barrels in 2006 in response to the increasing availability in regard to building kit guns without serialization (flat building AK, for example, as first detailed by your's truly as early as 2004 - boy did i get a lot of shit from ATF as a result of having done that). few form 6 have been authorized for kits of any kind, even without barrel, since. another contributive factor, the American dollar fell against other currencies 2008-9, and has not recovered well.

as a result what you are seeing now is the end of commercially available kits. secondary sellers will be your only source in the future, unless the ATF gets new instructions and the dollar recovers.

complicating this question are the recent UN initiatives to reduce traffic in small arms that are being pushed by third world despots who are afraid of losing their power in exactly the way in which they took it (a plane load of AK-47 and RPGs). thanks to such initiatives your tax dollars are being used to buy up shipping containers of serviceable small arms for smelting by the ton.

in 2000 a connex shipping container of AK-47 cost about $22 per unit to an importer. holding them in bonded warehouse and paying a contractor to chop them in bond added another 2=4$ per unit. the UN is now paying nearly as much to throw them into east european foundry furnaces (yeah, sure, we know where they are really going, back into syria).

my thoughts? buy anything you see at reasonable pricing, especially the odd ones that everybody says can't be built, and be patient. also consider hodge podging US police demils. tube guns like tec-9 are sometimes demilled and sold on gunbroker and can be the basis for really cool subgun-like builds.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7550