Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default S&W M&P 15 Sport upper in SPR role?

Has anyone tried using the M&P 15 sport upper in a SPR type of role? I replaced my sport upper with a BCM 14.5" mid length because I didn't like the weight of the heavy barrel or the carbine gas system with a 16" barrel, but mostly the weight. This was more of a home defense rifle.

I was thinking about selling the sport upper, but I've always wanted a SPR upper set up. I'm wondering how well it would fit the role. From what I've read, the 1/8 5R barrel is supposed to shoot pretty well, but at the moment I only have 1x optics and irons. I haven't been able to really test the accuracy. I'm not looking for competition accuracy, but practical accuracy - maybe like 1.5 moa. The farthest I can imagine shooting it would be about 500 yards, with the more typical distance being 300-400.

I won't be able to afford good glass until I save up for a bit. Do you think this would be a half decent set up, or is it a waste of resources? If you think it's a good idea, what weight projectile would make best use of the 1/8 5r rifling? Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Holeshot121; April 15th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.