Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: German Mauser k98 value?

thanks for the help guys! I'm definitely going to be looking to find the original stock for it, since that will increase the value some, even tho it definitely wouldn't be numbers matching. But still seems it would be worth it to bring the peice of history back to what it originally would have been

(Indiana County)

Default Re: German Mauser k98 value?

Quote Originally Posted by stimrob View Post
    A gun not having an import mark would indicate it's a probable veteran bringback. Unfortunately it is sporterized and the floorplate is mismatched so even if restored would never be "matching".

If you're looking for a correct stock to restore the rifle, look here: http://k98stocks.com/

Otherwise, I'm on the lookout for a k98 stock myself. rguns had them earlier this year but are sold out now.
    There are many reasons why a firearm would not have an import mark, being a bringback is just one.

As said above, there was a time when it was not even required. (Although I think it was the GCA '68 that said imported firearms were to be marked)
    That leaves about a 25 year span where the OP's K98 could have been brought into the US without a stamp being needed.
    Many places were importing military arms after the war and before the requirement.

A rifle that was marked on the barrel could have had the barrel replaced, the guys doing the stamping might have wanted to get to the bar early on a Friday and decided to chuck a few in the "done" pile, someone could duracoat a gun and cover the marks and I have seen more than one Enfield that was "repainted" black to try to replicate the original paint and this covered the import marks.

Just sayin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12