Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:31 PM

kevikens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H&R Trapdoor Springfield

I recently purchased an H&R model 1873 Trapdoor cavalry carbine. I noticed that under the stock there is a cartouche branded into the wood appearing to be an ornate letter P , possibly inscribed over another smaller letter, both withing a circle. Does anyone know what the significance of this might be? Thanks

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
brian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H&R Trapdoor Springfield

just a proof mark, or a copy of a proof mark.
not sure if they used new manufactured wood or had some usgi sets around.
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM

(Adams County)
bob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond reputebob308 has a reputation beyond repute

it is a repro of the proof mark. that was put on when they passed the proof load. some even have repro inspector marks.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Noah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond repute

The others nailed it; the "Circle-P" is a copy of an acceptance mark used by Army Ordnance back in the day. You also see the mark on the stocks of Krags, Springfields, M1917 Enfields, and M1 Garands.

H&R Trapdoors are made from all new parts, including the stocks. No used original parts were incorporated into H&R Trapdoors at any time by the factory.

Make sure the hex recess set screw on the trapdoor latch dog is kept tight. They like to work loose with shooting, and the door will pop open upon firing when it's too loose.

My H&Rs:

Infantry Musket:

Officer's Model:

Cavalry Carbine:

. . . and group shot!

Noah
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

biggest little town on the map, Pennsylvania
(Warren County)
chez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to check mine as I recall there was a brass plate in the box mine came in. Once I find it I'll post a picture of it. It's in this picture but hard to see
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:02 PM

kevikens is an unknown quantity at this point

This hex nut you are referring to, I'm not sure where on the rifle it is and I may not know the proper terminology. On the part that swings upward(breech block ?) for loading and then pushed down inserting the cartridge into the chamber I think I see what is a hex nut with a spring behind it at the end of the block closest to the shooter that I presume can be tightened with an allen wrench. Is that what you mean? I have not yet fired the rifle. Can you post a picture from your cavalry model showing the exact location of the nut that needs to be kept tight? Thanks a lot for this info. By the way is this a common problem with the H&R?
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

biggest little town on the map, Pennsylvania
(Warren County)
chez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond repute

stopped by Tanners on Friday and they had one of these on the shelf for $599........ looks just like mine, checked it out and looked like it had been hardly shot. If anybody's interest.