Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: savage axis

Default savage axis

i got this savage axis 223 rem. 1/9 twist in a trade. it came with a bushnell 3x9 but i replaced it with the mueller 4x16x50mm w/mil dot reticle that is in the pic.

the rifle was like new with less then 100 rounds down the pipe.

the following targets are from yesterday BEFORE i did a small mod on the trigger to make it a lighter pull.

the two groups shown are the best of 6 different groups i shot. these are using hornady varmint express with 55gr molly coated v-max bullits i had some black hills 55 gr that was the second best performer, with hornady 55 gr tap the third best . the wolf steel cased 55gr. did the worst with an average group size of about 1.5-2". the thing with the wolf i noticed was that all of the shots were low.

overall im pretty stoked about what i can get out of this bottom end rifle at 100 yds.

my range only gets to 200 so that will be next.

the larger holes in the first target is my , new to me, model 70 winchester 30/06 ( 1941build ) with an original lyman alskan scope set in a griffen and howe side mount base and rings. shot unsupported from the bench at 100 yds.
    Attached Thumbnails

(Berks County)

Default Re: savage axis

glad to see it shoots so well, my brother in law just bought a new one 2 weeks ago when I got my rem 22-250 from a local gun shop. I talked him into it after hearing good things about them and this is just backing it up for me. he only paid 340 out the door for his with the scope background check and 2 box's of wolf ammo just to get a start on zeroing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    glad to see it shoots so well, my brother in law just bought a new one 2 weeks ago when I got my rem 22-250 from a local gun shop. I talked him into it after hearing good things about them and this is just backing it up for me. he only paid 340 out the door for his with the scope background check and 2 box's of wolf ammo just to get a start on zeroing it in.
    i traded a very nice complete lower for this but wish i had not.

the same gun is for sale in the ads here for $180!

i had at least 280 into the lower. it had been sitting in my safe for the past 6 months so... im very happy with axis its just id have rather kept my lower and paid 180 for an axis

i did a trigger mod i found on youtube that is supposed to shave a couple pounds off. it feels lighter but its hard to say how much without a pull gauge. it took all of 10 minutes. if you do it, try to do it before you sight in. im pretty sure ill have to do that over now.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    i traded a very nice complete lower for this but wish i had not.

the same gun is for sale in the ads here for $180!

i had at least 280 into the lower. it had been sitting in my safe for the past 6 months so... im very happy with axis its just id have rather kept my lower and paid 180 for an axis

i did a trigger mod i found on youtube that is supposed to shave a couple pounds off. it feels lighter but its hard to say how much without a pull gauge. it took all of 10 minutes. if you do it, try to do it before you sight in. im pretty sure ill have to do that over now.
    I understand what you're saying about wishing you kept your lower. I'm glad to see it's shooting the way it is, and that you're happy with it.

I did want to say that the trigger pull on the rifle should NOT effect the zero of the rifle. Unless you're moving and forcing the rifle around while you're pulling the trigger, it's zero should be in the same place. It is possible to move the rifle while pulling the trigger, but if your fundamentals are sound, you shouldn't. The trigger just effects the amount of pressure it takes to start the whole chain of events. It usually helps with consistency between rounds if people aren't fundamentally sound. It still should have no effect on your zero.

(Berks County)

Absolutely love my axis in .223. It was a little hard to sight it in but now that I'm locked down it holds consistently tight groups out to 200 no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I understand what you're saying about wishing you kept your lower. I'm glad to see it's shooting the way it is, and that you're happy with it.

I did want to say that the trigger pull on the rifle should NOT effect the zero of the rifle. Unless you're moving and forcing the rifle around while you're pulling the trigger, it's zero should be in the same place. It is possible to move the rifle while pulling the trigger, but if your fundamentals are sound, you shouldn't. The trigger just effects the amount of pressure it takes to start the whole chain of events. It usually helps with consistency between rounds if people aren't fundamentally sound. It still should have no effect on your zero.
    i had to remove the action/barrel from the stock to do the trigger work. i know how to pull the trigger, i just thought that the re screwing to the stock might effect my zero.

i need a few tools if im going to shoot precision, including a torque driver tool and a trigger poundage gauge

the lower is no loss, like i said i had 280 into it and that is counting the LPK i used that came from my other AR when i upgraded the internals of its lower. cash money im into the lower i traded is well under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Absolutely love my axis in .223. It was a little hard to sight it in but now that I'm locked down it holds consistently tight groups out to 200 no problem.

i like the riser on the stock idea, i was thinking of getting one of the lace on types i have seen, as it is i use my left hand resting on the top of my right hand/forearm to get a good cheek weld.

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    i had to remove the action/barrel from the stock to do the trigger work. i know how to pull the trigger, i just thought that the re screwing to the stock might effect my zero.

i need a few tools if im going to shoot precision, including a torque driver tool and a trigger poundage gauge

the lower is no loss, like i said i had 280 into it and that is counting the LPK i used that came from my other AR when i upgraded the internals of its lower. cash money im into the lower i traded is well under $200.
    I would say that this may have some effect on it, but I don't think as much as you may think. Typically, you won't see a huge shift simply because the scope, base, action, etc, are all basically one. So your optic/sighting system is a part of the barrel and action.

I would say you may see a little shift if the barrel is touching the stock in a different way than it was (if it wasn't free floated). I would say that your accuracy and the group size may be effected more, simply because the tension on the action screws will be different, and it may or may not effect how the rifle groups. I would say that overall, you probably won't see a significant different in point of impact, unless the action and barrel are contacting the stick in a really really different or odd way. It seems like since the recoil lug is attached to the stock, and it sits in the same place between the barrel nut and action, that it should position the rifle pretty close to how it was before. So my feelings are that it'll be pretty close to where it was before, all conditions being equal. That's my initial feelings on it anyway, and there's only one way to find out. Let us know when you take her back out.

(Berks County)

The cheek riser helped immensely. And I was lucky enough to find one at a gun show for $20, it was originally a kaarsten riser that you can't find for less than $50 online.

(Monroe County)

I love my .223 Axis now that I did the trigger job on it. But even before that I was able to get a sub half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards with the 55gr VMax rounds. I have it topped with a Centerpont 4-16x40 mildot scope. I'll post pics soon
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast