Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default AR flash hider install question.

When I screw the flash hider on finger tight the top mark is about 1 clock. Can I make almost another full turn or will the crush washer bottom out?
    If so should I just go buy a shim or thin washer from the hardware store?
    Basically how much will the crush washer crush? Ill probably pull out the feeler gauges when I get home and back it off 1 turn from center and measure that gap, and compare it to the space between the barrel end and the main part of the crush washer unless someone here tells me to just tighten the @#$@ out of it.

Default Re: AR flash hider install question.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    When I screw the flash hider on finger tight the top mark is about 1 clock. Can I make almost another full turn or will the crush washer bottom out?
    Basically how much will the crush washer crush? Ill probably pull out the feeler gauges when I get home and back it off 1 turn from center and measure that gap, and compare it to the space between the barrel end and the main part of the crush washer unless someone here tells me to just tighten the @#$@ out of it.
    I gather that the crush washer is new as well? Crush washers usually crush down, then you can back the muzzle device back out, then give it another twist and it will crush more. If you are already clocked over top-dead-center, you may want to try a different crush washer. I have shimmed them with the kind of shims that come with a surefire suppressor adapter and it has worked out very well and you can only see them if you are looking for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

I think that if you want to index it spot on, do what I did with mine, 28 thread pitch is only .036 inches per turn so you don't have to take much off the washer to go a full turn. I laid a piece 220 grit sandpaper down and sanded the washer very very gently and kept trying it till the hand tight was 1/4 turn before the straight up index. you can also flatten the back of the flashider as well a little. Remember though, .036 is not much at all.

edit: and I wouldn't over tighten it, you go too much and you can crack your upper.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I gather that the crush washer is new as well? Crush washers usually crush down, then you can back the muzzle device back out, then give it another twist and it will crush more. If you are already clocked over top-dead-center, you may want to try a different crush washer. I have shimmed them with the kind of shims that come with a surefire suppressor adapter and it has worked out very well and you can only see them if you are looking for them.

They let you use crush washers? GEMTECH makes you use peel washers. They say it is required to ensure alignment.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyinhigh View Post
    I think that if you want to index it spot on, do what I did with mine, 28 thread pitch is only .036 inches per turn so you don't have to take much off the washer to go a full turn. I laid a piece 220 grit sandpaper down and sanded the washer very very gently and kept trying it till the hand tight was 1/4 turn before the straight up index. you can also flatten the back of the flashider as well a little. Remember though, .036 is not much at all.

edit: and I wouldn't over tighten it, you go too much and you can crack your upper.
    so If I measure the uncrushed pointed end gap and its less then .036 I should be able to make a hole turn?

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    They let you use crush washers? GEMTECH makes you use peel washers. They say it is required to ensure alignment.
    Let me clarify a bit; The surefire Muzzle Brake/Suppressor Adapter uses shims and rock set. I used the left over shims on another application.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Peel washer and don't use much more than 15ft.lbs. of torque.
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad48 View Post
    Peel washer and don't use much more than 15ft.lbs. of torque.
    + 1.......
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Blair County)

Can you buy those anywhere locally? hardware store? I was hoping to have the gun done this weekend.

(Blair County)

PS here it is so far....waiting for one more box from UPS with the BCG gas block and handgaurds
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/bahlaal/ARsofar.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast