Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default remington 700 vs Howa

i was looking into getting a remington 700 and putting a tactical stock on it and when i looked at it at gander mountain the associated showed me the howa 1500 color match rifle with the color match scope. i liked the way it felt just don't really know much about the howa and neither did the sales associate one thing i want to do is be able to change the stock on them. i was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the differences between them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: remington 700 vs Howa

sorry i forgot that i want this to resemble a sniper rifle but also plan to hunt with it.

(Indiana County)

You can find a pile of stocks for the 700. So I'll just stop there and you can look over the net for the different ones available.

As for the Howa 1500, the stock should interchange with a stock for the Weatherby Vanguard and S&W 1500.

Blackhawk/Knoxx makes the Axiom stock for the Howa:

And here are McMillian stocks:
    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-st...stock-list.php

Honestly, having owned both guns in various calibers, they are pretty much the same as far as accuracy goes IMO, I did have a stock Howa in 6.5X55 that would shoot better than any stock 700 I have ever shot.
    So it just comes down to which you prefer over the other.
    The Remmy will have more aftermarket goodies available though as far as different types of scope mounts, magazine options, ect...

Here is a Howa setup I found via Google:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=1

(Washington County)

The Howa is a nice rifle, and does have alot of aftermarket stuff available for it.
    Howa's are made in Japan and use their own Hammer Forged Barrels

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Heavy barrel in .223, essentially a Howa Varminter with a 22" heavy barrel.

Pick what you like and whats priced right.

The Howa is a solid rifle

Check out www.stockystocks.com for replacement stocks. The Bell and Carlson Varmint/Tactical stocks are nice and reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Saddlerocker; January 21st, 2012 at 06:58 PM.

(York County)

[QUOTE=39flathead;1868494]You can find a pile of stocks for the 700.

The Remmy will have more aftermarket goodies available though as far as different types of scope mounts, magazine options, ect...

[QUOTE]

The same mounts made for the Remington are the SAME mounts for the HOWA. Exactly the same skus'.

HOWA also offers a detachable magazine option that is drop-in for any of thier rifles that have a floor plate trigger guard for about $100.00.

As has also been mentioned, "ALMOST" any aftermarket stock made for the Remy will also most likely be made for the HOWA.

Between the two, the HOWA is the nicer machined rifle, smoother bolt, smoother safety, a VERY nice trigger thats' adjustable by the user.
    Last edited by Gun Bowanna; February 22nd, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

If you want to have a rifle that resembles a 'sniper' rifle, to the untrained eye, sure, a Howa will work, but so does any flat colored bolt action rifle with a scope. If you want a rifle to grow with and build on(as far as a rack grade rifle), the Remington 700 is a no brainer. There is much more aftermarket support for the Remington 700 for good reason. You will always hear others talk of how their rifle is 'like' a Remington, not how a Remington is 'like' something else.

What kind of scope does the Howa have?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Some of these threads just make me laugh. There are some facts presented in them, but they also tend to be pretty skewed.

I will start off by saying that Howa and Remington both make nice rifles. I wouldn't get too caught up in the colors, matching colors, etc. Yes, it's pretty neat when everything matches up, but it makes little difference in the performance of the rifle and quality. Buy what you like because you want, and because it's what you like. Don't let people tell you which rifle is machined better, or has a smoother bolt throw, trigger, etc.

I do agree that Howa rifles are machined well, and are nice. Having a smoother action, easier bolt lift, etc. is a matter of opinion and experience. I personally don't think Howa's have a better trigger. The Remington triggers can be adjusted, and have been adjusted for a long time. Even the "new" Remington triggers can be adjusted, Remington just doesn't tell you how because of liability reasons and how people have screwed it up in the past. I think the Howa triggers are harder to get the same kind of performance that you get from the Remington triggers. Remington are nice rifles, but they've had their fair share of problems which I'm sure lots of people are more than happy to talk about. Howa/Smith & Wesson/Vanguards also have their fair share of problems. They've had to do recalls on their bolts due to them being able to be assembled in a way that can result in a dangerous condition. They've had to do recalls to upgrade and change out their safeties so that the rifle isn't able to discharge without the bolt being fully in battery. They've had to recall barrels due to too long of throats, and issues with metal and safety issues. Remington has recalled their rifles because of concern about their triggers/safeties. Either way, as with anything, both companies have had to do recalls and/or have voluntarily fixed things on their rifles that could be problems due to user error. I would say that saying Howa rifles are "better" is simply just showing bias. They're both good rifles.

I can't confirm or deny if the Howa rifles use the same mounts as the Remington with the same sku's or not. If that's true, it's nice, but I'm sure it's the least of your worries. From the sound of things, you would probably be more worried about other things. Not all stocks that are made for the Remington 700 are made for the Howa 1500. It is safe to say that if you buy a high end stock like a McMillan, Manners, etc, you can have them inlet the stock for a Howa 1500. There are other stocks like A.I.'s, and others that do NOT come in anything that would fit a Howa 1500. From the sound of things, and you wanting it to "look" like a "sniper rifle", it sound like you'd probably be interested in some of the more budget minded stocks. When you start going this route, there are some options, some good ones that have been listed here. I'm a big fan of Bell & Carlson stocks, although I'm not so much a fan of the Axiom stocks. Either way, when you're looking at the cheaper stocks, your choices will be more limited than the Remington 700. Many people like the Choate Tactical line, and they don't make stocks for the Howa 1500. There's other manufacturers as well, but this is just an example.

The other thing that I thought was funny is that people were talking about how many accessories were available for the Howa 1500. Compared to the Remington 700 or the Savage 10/110, the Howa 1500 hardly has any aftermarket accessories. There are some options for some things, but it all just depends on what you want to change. If all you're looking to have options in is the scope mounts, stocks, etc, then it's not an issue. If you want to start talking about things like triggers, firing pins, recoil lugs, bolt shrouds, safeties, and all kinds of other things, the Howa 1500 doesn't hold a candle to it. So if all you're looking to do is make a rifle "look" like a sniper rifle, then sure, there's not a huge difference. All you have to do to accomplish that is throw on a different stock and whatever scope you want. If you want to find a smith to work on it, true the action, change out the barrel, and turn it into a legitimate tactical rifle, there's a WORLD of difference. I'm not saying that it can't be done, or that it's related to the quality of the rifle; I'm just saying that aftermarket support of key parts, and gunsmiths to do the quality work is why lots of people don't choose the Howa 1500 to build a precision rifle on. Look and actually "make" are two completely different things.

Either way, from what it sounds like you want to do, either rifle will probably work just fine for you. If you are wanting to get a "sniper rifle" look, I would recommend you go with something that is heavy barreled. Changing out a barrel is NOT an easy or cheap thing to do, and it requires a gunsmith for both platforms. So if you want it to look like a legitimate "sniper rifle", you need to pick something that has a heavy barrel on it. Sporter contour barrels a.k.a. "pencil barrels" do NOT look good in tactical rifle stocks, they look silly. So if you're going to do it and want it to look halfway decent, make sure that you go with something that has a heavy barrel because otherwise it'll be a headache and a lot of money to change; as in you might as well sell the rifle and buy a different one. It all just depends on what you want out of the rifle and what you want to do with it.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; January 23rd, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

(Centre County)

Howa 1500 in .308 are being used by Japanese Police as a sniper weapon. So accuracy is there.

There are one things I do not care for about Howa tho. Their mag release are located on front of trigger guard. With little bump, mag can fly open.
    This is fixed on Current weatherby MarkV. But not with Howa

http://taka25ban.sakura.ne.jp/m1500b.wmv

And Howa is investiment Casting as well, not that that makes big difference(You have to think about price of typical Howa...)

I like Howa guns. Their reasonably priced, and many variations that can meet everyone's need. It'll make great entry level weapon, and performs great in most situation.
    And I do think its a sharp looking weapon...

Remington is nice too tho

But as above poster said, there are no aftermarket support, other then stock and scope mount.
    If OP wants to make a tactical looking rifle that performs resonably well, and don't bunkrupt you, then Howa is fine weapon for that.
    But if OP wants to build a tactical rifle that can fine tuned in to real precision weapon, Remington is the way to go.
    But it can bunkrupt you while your doing it...
    Another thing you have to consider is that both of them will likely be more accurate then most shooter are capable of.
    At the level of shooting I can do, difference between above two won't be noticable. I'm not trained sharp shooter.
    If one can shoot .5"group at 100yds, and other one can only do .75" at the same distance, I wont be ablt to tell the diffence, because both guns will likely shoot 1" group if I shoot it
    Last edited by Mity2; January 22nd, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

thanks for all of the info. i happened to be at gander today and i started talking to the one associate and he pretty much seemed to same basic stuff you guys are saying that they are both good guns the big difference is the amount of the aftermarket products for the howa. if i get the rem 700 im gonna decide between the ADL and the SPS but the sps does not come in a 308. i liked this stock for the remington 700 http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_U...ong_Action.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by moose83 View Post
    If I get the rem 700 I'm going to have to decide between the ADL and the SPS but, the sps does not come in a 308. I like the stock for the Remington 700 http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_U...ong_Action.cfm
    Yes it does.

Also, have you ever handled that stock? For the money, I would go for a B&C M40 stock instead of that cheesy thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast