Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: AK-47 -or- M4 carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    I think most decent AK will group at least this well.
    Maybe with you shooting it. But me....

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    An RRA is NOT a Colt. For most people's plinking any manufacturers AR variant will be fine. But for those whose lives depend on them, almost all will tell you colt is in the top 3 for battle carbines. Check out m4carbine.net, do some reading and you will quickly learn what the differences are. Btw I own AR's by colt, RRA and cmmg and as I stated above for a day at the range any will suffice. But if I could only pick one....colt 6920.
    im not being sarcastic when i ask this..........

could you please, if it's possible, please break down what seperates the colt from the bottom and the middle of the pack?

is it a matter of durability? dependability? i often hear folks say its milled finer, or fit and finnish is great but overall those descriptions are first, elementary, and secondly not very informative as to the how's and why's.

i guess one of the reasons i love my ak is the simplicity and the known , accepted limits of it. with the a r the options are so many and varied i feel compelled to understand the differences of the many manufacturer's. mission or duty specifics i get .

i have owned my ar for a month and shot it twice so obviously i know very little about the platform through hands on and actual experience.

thanks in advance, R.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post

could you please, if it's possible, please break down what seperates the colt from the bottom and the middle of the pack?

is it a matter of durability? dependability? i often hear folks say its milled finer, or fit and finnish is great but overall those descriptions are first, elementary, and secondly not very informative as to the how's and why's.

i guess one of the reasons i love my ak is the simplicity and the known , accepted limits of it. with the a r the options are so many and varied i feel compelled to understand the differences of the many manufacturer's. mission or duty specifics i get .

i have owned my ar for a month and shot it twice so obviously i know very little about the platform through hands on and actual experience.

thanks in advance, R.
    Maybe the better production means they are less likely to be defective? I don't really know.

(Montgomery County)

M4carbine.net

Read and learn before you buy. Seriously, you'll regret it later if you don't.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by slipknotsteve View Post
    I go upstate a lot 115 acre of land do alot of distance Target shooting and I wanna pick up a new toy
    What distance?

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=397

I own this. After speaking with gunsmiths they all say the RRA is the best made AR 15. They start at $1200. It out shoots both of my friends Bushmasters and Colts respectively. Mine is pretty decked out I also have the Dominator sight rial. That means it comes EOTech ready.

Just my 2 cents.
    How does it "outshoot" and are the guns even "built" to do the same thing? Comparing the accuracy of an RRA NM to a Colt 6920 is a joke. Comparing a NM gun to a 6920 after they have both been tossed in a mud puddle is also a joke. Without context and quantification that statement is useless unless the gentlemen is selling RRA's and then it is only useful to him.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    When these gunsmiths were speaking to you, were there alot of RRA's behind them?
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    The AR-15
    Snip
    Nailed it all there.

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post
    Nope only one on the shelf...There were a lot of cheaper Colts, S&W, and Bushmasters on the shelf. The RRA is better made I have handled all of the above mentioned and the RRA shoots better out of the box than any of those 3.
    How is it better made if RRA cuts corners in production relative to Colt?

What is better? Does your better apply to what the OP wants to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post

thanks in advance, R.
    I will dig up a few links, but there is more to it than a one line answer. A lot of it depends on your goal, but the general answer is that Colt does not cut corners, other brands do. It is on you to decide what corners can be cut.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

If the OP is willing to make a few changes, check a few specs, and do a little staking after purchase, pretty much any model of AR is sufficient as a general plinker and home defense weapon. If we're arguing which AR is best, well i would take an HK-416 over any other model of AR, if money was no object.

I don't like AK's much. Never have. I like the AK-74 far more than I like the 47 though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234