Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Why would I want a 30-30 lever action?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I have one that I inherited from my grandfather. Marlin 336CS. Have had it for several years...haven't fired it yet. Can you shoot them at an indoor range?
    SPAG will also allow you to shoot a 30-30 indoors. If you ever make out to the Media area I can bring you as a guest at Delaware County Field & Stream for a outdoor range.

A 30-30 lever action is one of the mainstays of a genuine Pennsylvanian. It is no doubt one of the best all-around deer rifles ever offered in all of the United States. Especially the eastern US.

If PA were to choose a state firearm, I would bet a paycheck the 30-30 lever would be a top 3 finalist.

My first deer was taken when I was 12 years old with a 20 gauge double barrel with slugs. When I graduated from that, my Dad gave me his Winchester model 94 30-30 lever action to use and when my brothers came up through the ranks he gave it to each of them to use as well. One day, out of shear stupidity (his words) he traded that Winchester and regretted it until his dying day. The only saving grace, if there was any, was that he traded it for another Winchester 30-30.....a "newer and better" model of angle eject, which we all promptly hated.

I wish I had that first Winchester, lots of memories made with it. The infamous trading away of it prompted me to buy my own 30-30 lever when I was old enough. I bought a Marlin 336 and have harvested many deer with it. It's never failed me in almost 25 years now. It's been in the snow, sleet, rain, heat, dirt and mud. It's been banged, bumped, suffered scratches and dings. It's hunted deer, bear and coyotes. It has stood its post in home defense. It's shot in hunting club running deer competitions and friendly wagers at the range. It can tell enough stories of life and experiences in Pennsylvania's woods to write a book. It's now a part of many a memories and more to come as my 6 year old son works his way to the day when he holds the rifle in his hands at the range and then on stand the first day of deer season.

It's had the same scope and sling on it since I bought it, and the only thing I've done to mine is put a left handed hammer extension on it so I can cock the hammer back with the scope on it. I am now considering buying one of the used Winchesters on the rack at National.

You sold on it yet?

Enjoy your new rifle.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Bucks County)

If you want a challenge and some real fun try a Cowboy Lever Action Silhoutte match. You do not need a lot of sophisticated equipment; a center fire lever rifle with iron sights that shoots a rimmed cartridge (.35 Rem. is OK) and is feed by a tube magazine, 40 rounds of ammo for the match. Ammo to practice with before the match, & eye and ear protection. The sights may be of any type of iron sight that may have been present to the period, for example, tang sight, peep sight. No glass permited.
    The Big Bore match consists of 10 chickens shot at 50 yards, 10 pigs shot at 100 yards, 10 turkeys shot at 150 yards, and 10 rams shot at 200 yards. The animal must be knocked down for the shot to count. The time limit is 2 minutes for each bank of 5 animals.
    The Pistol Caliber match consists of 10 chickens shot at 40 yards, 10 pigs shot at 50 yards, 10 turkeys shot at 75 yards, and 10 rams shot at 100 yards. Any lever rifle shooting a pistol caliber is needed. No glass allowed. Same time limits.
    The Rim Fire match consists of the same distances as the Pistol Caliber match. Any rim fire .22 LR is permissable. Again no glass allowed. The rifle may use any type of magazine.
    The shoot is held at Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association on the 2 Sunday of the month. You do not have to be a member to shoot this match. You can shoot all three matches, or just one or two.
    One other thing; all shooting is done off hand, no rests, slings, shooting sticks, or anything else that would support the rifle
    If you are interested PM me for more details.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; May 2nd, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    mrjam2jab

You can shoot your lever rifle at Classic Pistol in Southampton.

Jeff
    Great to hear as that is where I go.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    SPAG will also allow you to shoot a 30-30 indoors. If you ever make out to the Media area I can bring you as a guest at Delaware County Field & Stream for a outdoor range.
    thanks for the offer.

(Cambria County)

If you live and hunt in PA having a 30-30 level action is mandatory. I think it may be a Law. I think you can substitute a 35REM in some county's.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Hell I don't think I have ever paid over $250 for a Winchester and never over $200 for a Marlin

456 - That is the thing that I'm looking out for a 30-30 or 44mag lever action for $200+ or - and definitely its going home with me. But in recent gun shows and pawn shops I'm see $400-$650 for a lever action rifle Winchester or Marlin. Quite frankly I prefer Marlin because top scope mounting features, though I here the Winny is smoother. For NIB lever Walmart's price is not bad.

(Venango County)

Thumbs down Re: Why would I want a 30-30 lever action?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    If you live and hunt in PA having a 30-30 level action is mandatory. I think it may be a Law. I think you can substitute a 35REM in some county's.
    No such Laws. You need to do a little more research. Actually, this is so ridiculous it doesn't even merit a response. Forget I said anything.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Why would I want a 30-30 lever action?

LOL I think you may be right... I grew up in Warren county and everybody I knew had at least one. First day of buck season was a holiday, 2nd day we all compared who got what, student and teachers alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpertz View Post
    No such Laws. You need to do a little more research. Actually, this is so ridiculous it doesn't even merit a response. Forget I said anything.
    Xpertz: Bradster's dry comment was made tongue-in-cheek; he was being facetious.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

If there was ever any reason to do some kind of "semi-low-profile" patrol of a neighborhood (whatever that may mean) having a lever action would draw much less attention than an AK or AR. Depending on the situation.

Personally why would I have one? Because I don't have one yet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast