Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default ATF Visit for C&R License

Anyone out there ever had the ATF want to visit you for a C&R license application?

I recently applied for a C&R and i got a call yesterday from a guy at the ATF and wanted to meet me at my home to discuss my application? I had an FFL many years ago and just didnt bother to renew it, I am guessing thats why they want to meet with me, or is it something new with the ATF that they are going to visit folks applying for C&R's.

He is coming this afternoon so i guess i will see what this is all about.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: ATF Visit for C&R License

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    Anyone out there ever had the ATF want to visit you for a C&R license application?

I recently applied for a C&R and i got a call yesterday from a guy at the ATF and wanted to meet me at my home to discuss my application? I had an FFL many years ago and just didnt bother to renew it, I am guessing thats why they want to meet with me, or is it something new with the ATF that they are going to visit folks applying for C&R's.

He is coming this afternoon so i guess i will see what this is all about.

Thats strange and I have never heard of it happening before.

I held a C&R from for a few years but didn't renew after that.

Here's what I found on the net about ATF interviews:

Curio & Relic Compliance Inspections

"(D) At the election of a licensed collector, the annual inspection of records and inventory permitted under this paragraph shall be performed at the office of the Attorney General designed for such inspections which is located in closest proximity to the premises where the inventory and records of such licensed collector are maintained." ATF 2005 Regulations page 18. (ATF Publication 5300.4) Licensed collectors may also elect to have the inspection conducted at their homes. While C&R compliance used to consist of just bringing the bound book to the appropriate office, Inspectors are now (2009) often requiring that collectors bring their inventory (collection) to their office if they can not inspect them in the home.

It doesn't really pertain to your situation, but thats all I could come up with.

Please let us know what happens!

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Definitely check his credentials before allowing access to your home. Maybe contact the local ATF branch and make sure this is legit. It could be to check your books from the previous ffl. I hope it goes well. Tagged for interest.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    Definitely check his credentials before allowing access to your home. Maybe contact the local ATF branch and make sure this is legit.

I second the motion.
    Good thinking!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

I knew they had the right to perform and inspection but figured it would never actually happen. Please keep us posted 'cause I'm very curious...

(Lehigh County)

I received mine a few weeks ago, i never even got a phone call, just showed up in the mail about 4 weeks after i applied. Maybe because you let it lapse? just a guess.

(Bucks County)

Received mine late last year. No calls, one day my license just showed up. Good luck with this.

(Elk County)

I never got contacted about a pre-licensing visit when I applied for my C&R back in 2005, but I did have an inspection when I came up for renewal. The inspector made the appointment about two weeks in advance, and since the local ATF office is a 2.5 hr drive and I didn't want to schlep a dozen rifles, pistols, and one SMG there, I agreed to have the inspection at the house.

The inspector offered her credentials at the door, and I invited her in to set up on the dining room table. The C&R firearms were already lined up along the dining room wall and the pistols sat on the table. She compared records entries with inventory, asked a couple questions about the three C&Rs that I sold, asked if I had any other firearms (yes, but they are not C&R) and she left that drop because she had no authority to inspect them. She did copy down on some spreadsheet form all the information in my acquisition/disposition record for all the C&Rs that I still had, and for those that I disposed of, and took that form with her.

The only thing that fazed her was my S&W Model 76 SMG being a C&R. She was unaware that the public could own MGs, and I showed her the approved Form 4. She looked at that like it was written in Arabic, and then made a cell phone call to "HQ" to verify that the S&W 76 was a C&R. This despite my showing her the S&W 76 listing in the ATF C&R book. The person at the office assured her that the 76 was C&R and she thanked them and ended the call.

She then gave me a lecture about how a C&R license is for collecting and doesn't allow the licensee (me) to act as a dealer (No shit; really?). She then gave me a thick book of regs and a dozen or so 4473s, which I politely protested were for Dealer FFLs and not Collector FFLs, and she said, "Oh no!, you must have these for when you dispose of a firearm from your collection!" (Otay, Miss. You the ATF employee; you ought to know. Smile and nod, smile and nod.) My job was to get through the inspection, not educate a rookie ATF inspector.

The whole visit was about 90 mins, overall quite painless, and my renewal came about a couple-three weeks later. I gave the 4473s to a local dealer.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; April 21st, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Did you have a FFL 01 or C & R prior.

I ask only because you may have set off a red flag if you didn't turn in your prior records (if it was an FFL01)

Other that that, can't figure out why they are singling you out.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    She then gave me a lecture about how a C&R license is for collecting and doesn't allow the licensee (me) to act as a dealer (No shit; really?).
    Noah,
    Was there something in your bound book that caused her to go into her lecture or was it SOP? I ask because I buy a lot of C&R stuff that winds up getting sold pretty quickly (I have a short attention span) and I wonder if this is a red flag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast