Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Yugo M70 AK-47 problems

I have a Yugo M70 that i bought from some guy named Ken Koch at the VF gunshow in june 2010. Ever since i bought this gun it has been a nightmare of problems. the rounds fires but the empty case doesn't clear the ejection port. Next live round strips off the magazine末-sometimes the empty is stove piped, sometimes it's up above the live round. Either way, it jams up pretty tight末-usually requires removing the magazine to clear.

I replaced the recoil spring and the ejector spring and with no improvements.

it seems to jam randomly on every fourth or fifth round.

I called Ken koch who i bought it from and he wont call me back. typical, and century arms wont respond to me.

any help please.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Yugo M70 AK-47 problems

Who made the reciever?
    I had a friend who had a Hesse made AK that jammed every third round like clockwork.
    If it is a bad build (like a Hesse) it may need to be rebuilt with a proper (and square) reciever.
    That is worst case though.
    If it is a Hesse, you might be in trouble.
    One of the problems with those recievers is they were not properly heat treated and did not have the hardness to stay square.
    It could also be something as simple as the magazines you are using.
    I have also seen AKs (and SKSs that take AK mags) get really picky about which magazines they like.
    Do you have any idea what the country of manufacture your magazines are?
    Last edited by oblivionboyj; February 16th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: Yugo M70 AK-47 problems

Sounds like;

a) Mr. Koch saw you COMIN', and decided to shove his problem off on you, and,

b) You have acquired one of the dreaded Monday Morning/Friday Afternoon CAI Monkey-hammered specials!

Your BEST bet is gonna be CAI - if they don't make it right, post TONS of pictures of it on every board you can sign up on, and complain about the crappiness of CAI (not exactly a 'trade secret'... ) incessantly. Bad publicity can occasionally force someone to get off their duff and finally DO the right thing.

Otherwise, in the immortal words of that Old West Lutheran Missionary - "Son... you're on your OWN..." (FF to about the 2:25 mark)

(Philadelphia County)

im thinking kens a douccche

(Washington County)

Well, since you already changed the recoil spring and the extractor spring (the ejector doesn't have a spring) The next thing I would look at is the magazine. (Actually that would be the first thing I would have looked at... but I digress.)

Does this happen with multiple magazines? What King of magazine is it? USA made? Mil surp steel?

I would try buying a +5% wolf recoil spring and installing it in your magazine, which hopefully is an eastern european or chinese military surplus steel magazine.

This is the wolf spring: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=992905 (these are temporarily out of stock, but you get the picture)

If that didn't work I would look at the gas system. The m70 has the ability to close the gas port valve to fire grenades. If your port is partially closed or clogged this could also be the problem.

Remove the gas tube and clean the shit out of it. Re-open the gas port (put down the grenade sight) and clean the shit out of it as well. Spray brake parts cleaner in there. Put pipe cleaners through the port, soaked in hoppes (or whatever cleaner you prefer.)

There could be old cosmoline stuck in there, gumming up the works.
    Last edited by marinville; February 16th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

(Delaware County)

Sounds like you got a lemon. If you rule out the obvious stuff and still want to salvage it, give rifle dynamics a call. For about $350 they will turn any century hackjob into a proper fighting rifle.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Sounds like you got a lemon. If you rule out the obvious stuff and still want to salvage it, give rifle dynamics a call. For about $350 they will turn any century hackjob into a proper fighting rifle.
    I dont see how any of this would adress his problem... at all
    Quote Originally Posted by rifle dynamics
    Yugo M70 Upgrade $300.00

* Sandblast and parkerize
    * Tighten underfolder stock
    * Fit safety, bolt/bolt carrier, trigger group
    * Check/ correct headspace
    * Type 84 flashider
    * Fuller rear sight mod
    * Testfire and zero
    or even this, for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by rifle dynamics
    Yugo Premium Upgrade $700.00

* Sandblast, parkerize and Norrells Moly Resin finish
    * Rifle Dynamics custom front end
    * Ultimak scope rail
    * Fuller rear sight mod
    * Tighten Underfolder stock
    * Fit safety, bolt/bolt carrier, trigger group
    * Check/ correct headspace
    * Testfire and zero
    * Type 84 flashider

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I dont see how any of this would adress his problem... at all

or even this, for that matter...
    Simple, he doesn't let shit that doesn't work out the door. You call him, tell him what the problem is. He gets your rifle, fixes it, and makes it 20x better.

Anyway, i agree that it's probably a gas problem.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    If that didn't work I would look at the gas system. The m70 has the ability to close the gas port valve to fire grenades. If your port is partially closed or clogged this could also be the problem.

Remove the gas tube and clean the shit out of it. Re-open the gas port (put down the grenade sight) and clean the shit out of it as well. Spray brake parts cleaner in there. Put pipe cleaners through the port, soaked in hoppes (or whatever cleaner you prefer.)
    I second this advice. My M70 had some similar problems until I tore it down completely and scrubbed it out. The gas port area, especially the small tube connecting the barrel to the area ahead of the piston (at the front sight) was pretty filthy from the day I bought it at the shop. Now it's happy with any kind of ammo, even the Wolf black box stuff.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vin View Post
    I have a Yugo M70 that i bought from some guy named Ken Koch at the VF gunshow in june 2010. Ever since i bought this gun it has been a nightmare of problems. the rounds fires but the empty case doesn't clear the ejection port. Next live round strips off the magazine末-sometimes the empty is stove piped, sometimes it's up above the live round. Either way, it jams up pretty tight末-usually requires removing the magazine to clear.

I replaced the recoil spring and the ejector spring and with no improvements.

it seems to jam randomly on every fourth or fifth round.

I called Ken koch who i bought it from and he wont call me back. typical, and century arms wont respond to me.

any help please.
    In your original post you said it seem to jam on every 4th or 5th round- are you sure the Grenade sight/gas shuttoff is coming loose with recoil? THe recoil from the 4 or 5 rounds opening up the gas cutoff? Tape down the Grenade sight to the barrel , shoot it and see if it still jams, ?

Nyman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast