Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Can you hunt with a Mosin-Nagant?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    LOL... that costs more than the gun!
    It does, for a mis-matched Izzy round-receiver garden-variety 91/30. But it utterly transforms the trigger group from misery-inducing thirteen pounds of pure shit to something you won't ever need to think about when you're hunting.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Montgomery County)

i like shooting squirrels with it...keeps them off the bird house

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Thanks for the great information, as I had the same question as the OP.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
    I believe you can't have the bayonet attached while hunting legally. But then who would want to.
    I was going to use my 7.7 Arisaka with bayonet to hunt deer. Figured if I encountered a downed deer I'd bayonet it. That idea didn't survive a short discussion.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post
    Does any here ever used a Mosin Nagant for hunting.

Can it be used for hunting in PA?
    I've read that they're used in Alaska for hunting Polar Bear. The actions are resistant to freezing up. I have one but have not pulled it from the cosmoline yet.

In brief - yes. Hunting ammunition is available online from most reputable manufacturers. Be wary of some surplus since it may have corrosive primers. Consider anything with berdan primers to be potentially corrosive. All it means is that you'll have to flush the bores with boiling hot water. Easy enough to do.

Getting a deer presupposes that you can find a deer.

I'm starting to think that the Deer in PA hug the roads the way that the Viet Cong "held the belts" of American troops, or the Soviets planned to "hug cities" during the Cold War. To protect either group from heavy fire. Doubt that Deer are that sneaky but maybe enough of them learned that being near highways was "safe" and just do it out of habit?

Gene

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    I've read that they're used in Alaska for hunting Polar Bear. The actions are resistant to freezing up. I have one but have not pulled it from the cosmoline yet.

In brief - yes. Hunting ammunition is available online from most reputable manufacturers. Be wary of some surplus since it may have corrosive primers. Consider anything with berdan primers to be potentially corrosive. All it means is that you'll have to flush the bores with boiling hot water. Easy enough to do.

Getting a deer presupposes that you can find a deer.

I'm starting to think that the Deer in PA hug the roads the way that the Viet Cong "held the belts" of American troops, or the Soviets planned to "hug cities" during the Cold War. To protect either group from heavy fire. Doubt that Deer are that sneaky but maybe enough of them learned that being near highways was "safe" and just do it out of habit?

Gene
    Yes. I like Mr. Zark's comment a page or 2 back on how the deer seem to know that if they stay within 50 yards of a commonewealth road, that they are safe...from the hunter's rifle, but not the hunter's truck!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Yes. I like Mr. Zark's comment a page or 2 back on how the deer seem to know that if they stay within 50 yards of a commonewealth road, that they are safe...from the hunter's rifle, but not the hunter's truck!
    Same here. It kills me that the only job I was able to find when moving back up from FL was in Philadelphia, and the hospital I work at is situated on a large campus in NE Philly. Every day going in and out of work, I have to look at literally herds of deer. Some are damn impressive... It's torture, and truth be told I've though about the odds of the locals determining a pistol shot from a deer gun when calling the cops considering it's a warzone around the hospital... I do however entertain my "urban" coworkers by regularly walking right up to them nice and slow and petting them before they spook. Apparently city folk think that bucks spear people with their "horns"... I so need to get the hell out of here. But more on topic, I'm a surplus rifle guy, and really want to hunt with my Mosin, SMLE, or the most treasured of my collection- my grandfather's bringback Arisaka. All of which do more than fine for deer given you get the proper hunting loads (no surplus FMJ...) Hopefully the PA DOC will hire me in a few months, and I can move back to somewhere normal where I can join you.

(Lawrence County)

Got my first deer with one back in 93'
    I't ain't braggin if you can do it !

Ab. So. Lutely! I think this thread has proven it so far!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345