Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: woodchucks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: woodchucks

The 22 Rimfire works up to 50 yards with hp ammo. I use a 204 Ruger because I like to watch the bullet hit. 223 works well but you must match up the bullet weight with the rifle twist (1 in 12/ 1 in 9/ or 1 in 7 are the most popular). I use my deer rifle (7mm-08) on groundhogs as practice for deer season. If you can kill a groundhog at 200 yards, killing a deer is not a problem.

(Lycoming County)

I use my deer rifle (7mm-08) on groundhogs as practice for deer season. If you can kill a groundhog at 200 yards, killing a deer is not a problem.
    Very good point. Consider the groundhog good moving target practice, a good splatter target!
    We hunt to kill, kill to eat, and eat to survive...I am a member of camp wackumstackum

.308Win FN Patrol Bolt XP/ Leupold Mark 4, 168gr Barnes Tripple Shock, 45gr Varget. Canoe'ing heads since 2006.

Last edited by animalmother85; August 3rd, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lancaster County)

id get a remmy 700 in 22-250 drop it in a nice stock reload some good rounds and call it a day
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    .308Win FN Patrol Bolt XP/ Leupold Mark 4, 168gr Barnes Tripple Shock, 45gr Varget. Canoe'ing heads since 2006.
    Be careful with the "gore clause" here at PAFOA. They admin/mods don't much like seeing any canoes, and you can get infractions for it. I'm sure some of them do, but either way, it's against the rules, so you may consider taking down that post. I'm curious about the distance, nice shot. So how far was that particular shot?

(Beaver County)

A couple weeks ago, I took out a ground hog at 40' with my old Crossman 1377.
    That's right, 7grains worth of .177 pointed pellet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You may want to reword that..
    kinda hard after its quoted
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; August 3rd, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

(Warren County)

Depends on the range, if their close by nothing beats a 22 rifle. I've taken a bunch of them with a simple bolt action 22 with a cheap scope. If there a little farther away, a nice 223 with a good scope will do the job nicely. I've also used a single shot Harrington & Richardson 12 gauge loaded with 00 magnum buckshot. But I do not recommend that as my shoulder still hurts from shooting those rounds thru that light (no recoil pad) shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a rifle to teach some woodchucks a lesson. What is a good rifle for this ?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a rifle to teach some woodchucks a lesson. What is a good rifle for this ?
    If noise doesn't matter and you want some range and versatility (larger game)go with the .223, .22-250, or even a .243.

If you need a quieter gun use the .22 but limit yourself to 100 yards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Be careful with the "gore clause" here at PAFOA. They admin/mods don't much like seeing any canoes, and you can get infractions for it. I'm sure some of them do, but either way, it's against the rules, so you may consider taking down that post. I'm curious about the distance, nice shot. So how far was that particular shot?
    not that far or as cool as some may think, around 150 yard(pace count being 62) but all that was presented was the head. I recently got on at just over 300 yard when I was home on leave, but i definitely couldn't post a picture of that. Again, same rifle, again, minimal target picture. Adjustments were easy, 3 MOA elevation and no wind. Next year I will look for something a bit further/more challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast