Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: looking for a decent .22 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    If you're not going to hunt with it look into a gsg5, on independence day my neice and nephew came over from new jersey and they had a ball shooting it in the back yard, i put a red dot scope on mine, very accurate and reliable.

Also wally's have a nice stainless marlin 60 in nice wood and a heavy barrel for a little over a hundred bucks.

Nyman
    I'm not crazy about the gsg. shot one before.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

I'll go ahead and suggest a Marlin 795. $125 with a $25 mail in rebate from Marlin. It's basically a model 60 but mag fed rather than tube. It's actually recommended by the Appleseed instructors themselves.

Chrome lined micro-grove barrel, semi-auto, polymer stock. Shoots excellent, better than a 10/22 out of the box. Mounted a tasco on mine and was shooting groupings the size of a baseball card at 50 yards standing tonight.

(Lehigh County)

I have a marlin and it also shoots great (had it since I was 12). I know you can get their new bolt guns for a bit over $200... and again a savage in that price range would also be a good bet. Both should be more accurate out of the box than a bone stock 10/22 (not that a 10/22 can't be made to be more accurate in the long run... but it'll cost ya).

(Perry County)

As mentioned above the Marlin 795 is a great bargain. You should be able to get one for $125 or so, add a set of Tech Sites (military style receiver sight) and you will have a great outfit for an Appleseed shoot. If you later want to scope it the receiver is grooved like most .22a. The 10/22s are also very good rifles, but both would need better sights and the Marlin is significantly less expensive and probably a bit more accurate on average than the Ruger.

Although I love my Marlin 795 a nice bolt action Savage would be a great choice as they are typically very accurate. The important thing is that you decide what you want the .22 for and then decide what will best meet your needs.

(Blair County)

If you want to hunt with it go with a Savage Mark II bolt gun. Even with out the accutrigger mine is disgustingly accurate off the bench scoped with good ammo.

If you arn't going to hunt with it, go the 10/22 route. Totally customizable the budget is your only limitation.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    If you want to hunt with it go with a Savage Mark II bolt gun. Even with out the accutrigger mine is disgustingly accurate off the bench scoped with good ammo.

If you arn't going to hunt with it, go the 10/22 route. Totally customizable the budget is your only limitation.
    I'm looking more into the Marlin 795. it's extremely cheap and I hear it's very accurate..few bucks for a nice scope and a bipod and it could probably shoot dimes.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I'll go ahead and suggest a Marlin 795. $125 with a $25 mail in rebate from Marlin. It's basically a model 60 but mag fed rather than tube. It's actually recommended by the Appleseed instructors themselves.

Chrome lined micro-grove barrel, semi-auto, polymer stock. Shoots excellent, better than a 10/22 out of the box. Mounted a tasco on mine and was shooting groupings the size of a baseball card at 50 yards standing tonight.

where did you find a 795 for $125 with a $25 rebate?

cheapest I can find it is on buds.

(Berks County)

Picked mine up last month from Cabelas in Hamburg. $125 NIB, picked up the flyer for $25, mailed my proof of purchase in that day and had a check from Marlin in three weeks.

Give em a call. According to the marlin forum on rimfirecentral.com the marlin rebate is good through 2010.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Picked mine up last month from Cabelas in Hamburg. $125 NIB, picked up the flyer for $25, mailed my proof of purchase in that day and had a check from Marlin in three weeks.

Give em a call. According to the marlin forum on rimfirecentral.com the marlin rebate is good through 2010.
    sweet. I'll actually be at Cabelas in Hamburg on the 31st for the FOAC meeting.

(Berks County)

I'm kinda upset I didnt check this thread sooner. I went to cabelas this morning and was drooling over the over priced toys. Coulda asked for you, sorry man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast