Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Rifles

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
Zet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond reputeZet70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Single or Double hook AK G2 kit in a Romak 99? Differences between the two?

Just curious as to the differences between single and double hook kits. Are the two interchangable into any AK? Does one have advantages over the other?

If not trying to go 922r compliant is it worth the time and $30 to upgrade to a G2 trigger? And thus have to go 922r compliant? If your AK is not suffering from trigger slap that is.

A local GS has both kits in stock and I really like supporting the small town shop vs online. I have found very little info on the G2 kit in a single stack Romak 99 AK variant.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
scoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond reputescoutjoe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to scoutjoe
Default Re: Single or Double hook AK G2 kit in a Romak 99? Differences between the two?

Well I just so happen to have a Romak 99.1

Its a single hook trigger, you can see since there is only one cutout. Most AKM variants in the country are this way*

Saigas are normally a single hook gun also but I was foolish and thought that somehow a double hook is better so when I converted my 7.62x39 I went with the double hook G2

As you can see I had to rough out a second "cutout" in front of the trigger hole for the clearance needed. Some guys have done it differently and cut the trigger so the second hook lays flat against the receiver.

Personally I haven't noticed much of a difference between the single hook G2s and the double hooks. That being said my single hooks are in shotguns and my double hook is in a rifle. The Romak 99.1 has a single hook RSA adjustable trigger and my RPK has a single hook G2.

I believe that the double hook was originally a soviet thought that the hook might break and therefore having 2=1 and 1=none. Once again I may be off with my memory here but it was something like 10 years without a broken hook and the gun went to a single hook design.

As always you get what you pay for with this advice, I'm not defensible in court, nor do I claim to cure baldness, diabetes and itchy trigger finger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romak 99.1 single hook (Medium).jpg (59.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Saiga double hook (Medium).jpg (50.5 KB, 44 views)
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
nfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond reputenfafan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single or Double hook AK G2 kit in a Romak 99? Differences between the two?

You don't HAVE to have a double-hook trigger, but it can't hurt for the safety reasons, if you want to go thru the effort of installing one. Given that few of us have access to NFA AKs, a single-hook is fine.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:52 AM

(Philadelphia County)
PhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond reputePhilaShooter has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC the double hook was originally on all the AK-47's the Soviet's and Chineese made, it was a Soviet design and they sold the rights to make the AK to China, which is why they were on Chineese AK variants. The hooks are actually the sears.

It was "said" to be better security if 1 hook broke they still had 1 left, but after 10-15 years without a single hook ever breaking when they redesigned the AK in the late 50's IIRC, they went to a single sear and made it larger and maybe stronger, not 100% on the stronger part though. They also added a rate reducer and switched from milled receivers to stamped at this time, along with some other changes, this design became the AKM.

China and the Soviet's at this time were no longer on good terms so China never got the AKM design and although they too switched to stamped steel receivers (which were still heavier than the Soviet's stamped ones) they kept the double hook as well as all the original AK47 internals.

I can see how it would seem to be more security but from all the stuff I saw on the web comparing the 2, it doesn't seem like the 2nd hook is really needed, just my opinion though. Also they've been using the single hook design since the late 50's without any trouble, at least none I have ever heard of.

This is all from memory so it might not be exact but I believe it to be correct....wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though