Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: The Arsenal vs. the Saiga....which one comes out on top ?

Taking about Arsenal guns you need to specify which MODEL of gun your comparing, because Arsenal sells converted saiga and bulgy guns.

So is it Arsenal saiga conversions .vs unconverted saigas or a different Arsenal gun .vs a saiga?

Answering that question would help out a lot. With that said, Arsenal produces excellent AKs.

So what are you going to judge the guns on? Price, finish, accuracy, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post

Made in Bulgaria, rejigged here for 922r, according to them:

http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/slr105/slr105.pdf
    http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/s...SAR_SLR106.pdf

Guns and Ammo article: http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...t-breed?page=1

From the article:

At least that's what it says. Oh, and FWIW, although Arsenal rifles up to very recently were guaranteed to come with awful BBQ paint for a finish, like cheap Rustoleum, and most likely with a canted front sight, or even an inordinate amount of trigger slap (my SLR105 A1 R suffering all three), once these issues are corrected, they're keepers.

There SLRs are all made in Bulgaria but there SGL's have Saiga Receivers from Russia, and then are refurnished in Nevada.
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post
    There SLRs are all made in Bulgaria but there their SGL's have Saiga Rreceivers from Russia, and then are refurnished in Nevada.
    Yes, Jabby, we knew this already. I made no reference to Russian models, only Bulgarian ones, as those are the only ones with which I have experience.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Which one do you all think is better overall, the Saiga or the Arsenal ??
    Which one has better accuracy, reliability, durability ?
    Does one have a better barrel, receiver, better quality parts ??
    -------
    Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts/opinions/suggestions/facts on this topic, PhilaShooter.

I've got both; an Arsenal SGL-20 and a Saiga 7.62x39 that I'm in the process of converting.
    I'm no AK expert but I think you're splitting hairs here. If you bought a Saiga and converted it you'd in theory be doing the same thing Arsenal does.

The Arsenals are very nice. Mine had no issues with canted sights and is very accurate. Fit and finish are great.
    If you like to tinker/mod you could convert a Saiga and end up with the same quality as an Arsenal depending on how you choose to outfit it. In fact you could save $100 as stated in a previous post... or you could easily spend more on modding a Saiga than buying an Arsenal.

I wanted a decent quality AK so I got the Arsenal. Then I also wanted to "roll my own" so I got a Saiga. You're somewhat local, if you want to check them both out I'm sure we can arrange it.

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: The Arsenal vs. the Saiga....which one comes out on top ?

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Yes, Jabby, we knew this already. I made no reference to Russian models, only Bulgarian ones, as those are the only ones with which I have experience.

10 chars
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    I've got both; an Arsenal SGL-20 and a Saiga 7.62x39 that I'm in the process of converting.
    I'm no AK expert but I think you're splitting hairs here. If you bought a Saiga and converted it you'd in theory be doing the same thing Arsenal does.

The Arsenals are very nice. Mine had no issues with canted sights and is very accurate. Fit and finish are great.
    If you like to tinker/mod you could convert a Saiga and end up with the same quality as an Arsenal depending on how you choose to outfit it. In fact you could save $100 as stated in a previous post... or you could easily spend more on modding a Saiga than buying an Arsenal.

I wanted a decent quality AK so I got the Arsenal. Then I also wanted to "roll my own" so I got a Saiga. You're somewhat local, if you want to check them both out I'm sure we can arrange it.
    He might be asking about the non-saiga Arsenal models.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Also interested in this because the Arsenal's have gone down in price signifigantly, one can be had for $600-$650 new.

At that price point I assumed he meant the SGL series but I've been wrong before.
    Just ask my wife

(Susquehanna County)

arsenal>saiga

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post

I also have a Saiga I am currently converting, doing some major work to it. That would be great to meet up and check your's out, once mine is done I'll bring it around too. I am in the NE area, yourself ?

Sorry everyone haven't been on much I have been doing some major conversions and setting up a new drill press, hydraulis press, ect...what I was comparing was the Saiga and the SLR model Arsenal's...not the saiga/arsenal's, sorry about that.

I know the SGL's are virtually the same exact thing as a normal Saiga just converted and painted, so there diffrences are just appearance really.

Are the SLR models better quality AK's than Saiga's ? Like how arethe barrels, receiver's, ect...are the SLR's more accurate then Saiga's, or the same ? Stuff like that, I know finish is diffrent also.

Say were are comparing a converted Saiga to a SLR Arsenal.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Philadelphia County)

Say were are comparing a converted Saiga to a SLR Arsenal.
    Ahhh, I was wrong again
    I don't have an SLR series so I can't comment on that. They seem to be higher in price than the SGL models though.

I also have a Saiga I am currently converting, doing some major work to it. That would be great to meet up and check your's out, once mine is done I'll bring it around too. I am in the NE area, yourself ?
    I'm in South Philly. My Saiga isn't quite ready yet either. Mostly because I've been busy and because I can't make up my mind about furniture. I'll send a PM your way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast