Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Mosin Nagant Headspace

First post so go easy on me.

In researching my sticky bolt syndrome on my MN, I came across the issue of headspace. I've never had my rifle checked so I figured I should have it done.

There are many people saying that having headspacing checked isn't a big deal at all. If your bolt closes you're good to go.

How important is it that I get the headspacing checked on my MN? If I should get it done, what would a gunsmith charge for something like that?

Default Re: Mosin Nagant Headspace

You can buy gauges to check it yourself. It will probably be cheaper than a gunsmith.

If you have shot it, look at the empties and see it the have any swelling.

I doubt that the headspace is messing with the sticky bolt. That is one of a few things: cosmoline, gritty chamber, and/or laminated ammo.

try brass, scrub clean and see how that helps

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

polish around where the firing pin makes contact with the inside of the bolt...do this in small increments from 220 grit then after 220 move to 800 and up to polish it.

_
    ======_=====>

up there is the firing pin

the part thats like this _
    _ needs to be polished and smoothed.

You might want to check youtube out .....as my rudimentary illustration above is very crude.. lol
    Gott mit uns

(Northampton County)

When I was cleaning the cosmoline of my 91/30, I was a bit concerned about the headspace. Not overly so, as I have yet to hear of one where it was an actual problem, but enough that I wanted to see if it was a potential issue. Anyway, I grabbed a spent casing, bored a hole in a block of hard plastic, and measured the thickness of the rim on that casing. (I think it was .054"...but I don't have that exact amount in front of me). Next, I took a piece of tape, folded it onto itself (stick-to-sticky), and measured it, and it was .006", so each piece would be .003".

Since the bolt was able to close on the casing by itself, at least I knew that there was room for a regular casing. Again, I don't have the exact headspace measurement guidelines on me, but I'm pretty sure it was that one or two pieces of tape on the top of the casing should still allow the bolt to close, but the third piece would be on the upper end of permissible. As it happened, my bolt closed tightly on two, but would not close on the third.

I know, hardly a 'real' headspace gauge, as plastic tape can 'squish', and so I could probably have forced it. But to the extent that it would not close on the third piece was a fair indicator that I am well within safety limits.

(Allegheny County)

But should I really be worried about it in the first place? Is it worth shelling out the $50 for the gauges to check?

I didn't really notice any cracking on the brass when I took it to the range but then I wasn't really looking.

As far the sticky bolt goes - I just have to find some time to really go over the chamber. I disassembled the bolt the other day and gave it a good clean and oil. It's a lot smoother now but it still sticks when you pull the bolt back to eject the casing.

I would be more focused on cleaning the chamber and not using laminated cases. That helps me with case extraction a lot.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    I would be more focused on cleaning the chamber and not using laminated cases. That helps me with case extraction a lot.
    You mean lacquered cases.
    I find the copper washed ones have less problems.
    Gott mit uns

(Washington County)

I wrapped some fine grit sand paper around a 20 gauge bore brush and taped it in place them put that in a cordless drill and used that to remove whatever the hell coating they put in the chambers of those 91/30's to store them. I also used fine grit sand paper to polish every part of the bolt that contacts anything basically. After doing that and a good cleaning, no issues.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    You mean lacquered cases.
    I find the copper washed ones have less problems.
    yes thank you brain fart. laqcuered

i too like the copper washed ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast