Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Here's a rare bird... FAMAS

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Well they do make a great armored car (no joke there)

And a better GPMG than that craptastic M60 the Army fielded for many years, I think it was called the AAT54?

Saw one in a NATO weapons class back in the days when I was skinnier, nuttier and single. Mag changes seemed like a rodeo event from what I recall.

Also back then the AUG was in the 900 buck range and they didn't sell well either.........

And weren't HK91's in that price range or lower back then?
    The panhard vbl is a great vehicle.
    The french have a knack for making wheeled tanks.
    I find he whole concept of a wheeled tank intresting
    Gott mit uns

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    And weren't HK91's in that price range or lower back then?
    Back around 1986/87 you could pick up a H&K 91 or 93 in original black, NATO camo, or desert camo for $599...that;s what I paid for mine! I also bought a H&K 94a3 for $950 as well...sold it in 1994 for $3000...wish I had another one.

(Delaware County)

Silly-looking French rifle, with a starting bid of $7,995.00. Yeah, good luck with that. I don't care how collectible it is, it ain't worth it, at least not to me.

You could probably get a couple full-auto M11/9s for that, plus 2 stamps, and a good supply of mags and ammo. The buy it now price would get you a pre-86 full-auto AR-15.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Washington County)

Did not sell well probably due to the fact that it looked different than a "normal" US rifle at the time. Bulpup design goes over well in a lot of places, just not here.

But then again, I like it. Dont know if I like it for 10K, but I would own one as long as it was reliable and shot well (which I hear they do).

(Allegheny County)

IIRC, the FAMAS nickname is "the bugle" or "trumpet".

Supposedly good guns, just obviously not everyone's cup of tea as evidenced by so few coming in, and, the price for these unusual looks were not competitive to more conventional looking and desirable EBRs of the time. No sales, no imports.

And as we all would soon learn, America's drug czar and legendary pedophile Bennet quickly tied Stockton to drug wars to cop killings - all caused by the FAMAS, FALs, SAR-3s and -48s, H&Ks, FNCs, Valmets, folding- and tele-stocks, Mitchel Yugos, Kassner Hungarians, Poly-Techs, AUGs and on and on.

Who knew drug lords in South Chicago were weilding Portugese G3S rifles??

ARRRRRGH!

AFAIK, I have seen a FAMAS in 2 movies, "Savior" and "The Warriors"; both good and both set in Yugo during their civil war. The Warriors is about a Spanish KFOR unit that gets in the shit, and some of the French soldiers carried the FAMAS. The Spanish troops carried what looked to be Berretta AR70s. Both flix are worth a watch.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

AFAIK, I have seen a FAMAS in 2 movies, "Savior" and "The Warriors"; both good and both set in Yugo during their civil war. The Warriors is about a Spanish KFOR unit that gets in the shit, and some of the French soldiers carried the FAMAS.
    The "Savior" is a good movie along with "Shot through the Heart" based on a true story of two guys that shot on the Yugo Olympic rifle team. Are you sure about the title "The Warriors", that is the titel of a movie about NYC gangs or is there another movie with the same title?

(Dauphin County)

The French have always made fantastic, well-built firearms. They 8mm Lebel was a revolutionary cartridge and rifle. The MAS series of rifles are tanks and are very accurate.

Yeah, they all are goofy looking but big deal. Some people prefer that to boring old 1911s and ARs.

The FAMAS is still the standard rifle for the French military, and was/is used in Afghanistan. It is a reliable and effective weapon if, of course, you like the cartridge.

French weapons ARE goofy looking but they are well-built and fun to shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    The "Savior" is a good movie along with "Shot through the Heart" based on a true story of two guys that shot on the Yugo Olympic rifle team. Are you sure about the title "The Warriors", that is the titel of a movie about NYC gangs or is there another movie with the same title?
    Doh! My bad, the international title is "Warriors" (from 2002). The formal Spanish subtitle is Guerreros. And - it has some of that cool wheeled armor in the movie.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293191/

While we're on the subject of Yugo Civ War flics, see also "No Man's Land" - in Yugo language with subtitles. Two combatants get stuck in a trench together and neither can escape due to either side's snipers.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283509/

And "Welcome to Sarajevo" with Woody Harrelson.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120490/
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(York County)

Apparently it's in the movie District B13 and Hotel Rwanda as well.....check out IMDFB:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/FAMAS

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    . . . I don't care how collectible it is, it ain't worth it . . .
    Did you read the whole auction description ?? It comes with the sling and oil bottle.

I think y'all ought to reconsider . . .

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast