Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New rifle

(Westmoreland County)

Default New rifle

Well I was out talking about the New Savage Edge on a couple of the other forms, as usual I talked my self into a new Rifle, Not the Edge, its cheap enough, Bees in Saltsburg has it for $259.99, but its one ugly gun, I also did not like the feel of it, I have narrowed calibers down to either 25-06 or 22-250, ammo cost is not an issue, I reload, But here lies the problem, I bought the Savage Stevens last year in 308, other than the trigger, I really like it, But for a little less money and better trigger, I can get the Marlin XR7, Both the Marlin and Stevens come with the Camo Stock, But I have read there may be a problem with the extractor on the Marlin.

Default Re: New rifle

For me, my big concern with the Marlin is that they are closing up shop sometime this year. I do not know how that will impact any warranty for the future. I am sure that Remington will handle the warranty work.

The Marlins are suppose to be really good shooters. Another issue with Marlin is that they use the same barrels as Savage if you want a better barrel, but the Marlin rifles use Winchester stocks. Not sure why Marlin didn't just copy Savage to use their barrels and stocks.

Out of your two choices of the 25/06 and 22-250, I would lean towards the 25/06 since it can be used for varmit to deer sized game. To me the 22-250 isn't a deer caliber.

If you want to sell your Stevens 200...let me know, since I may want to build up another rifle.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New rifle

Thanks for the offer and advise, I like the Stevens 200 , I bought it in 308. As with most rifles I buy, I did not need it but there was this hole in the 30s. I already have, that needed filling, The new rifle will mainly be for paper and chucks, its still a toss up on caliber, I don’t think the chucks will mind either way I go.