Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Good iron sights for an AR

Right now I'm just using the standard AR sights. Got a cheap detachable carry handle with the standard GI setup. I have a hard time picking out the center front sight and sometimes get the three mixed up when aquiring a target. I also don't like the standard 0-200 yrd peep it's too big for me to hit accurately so I've been using the smaller peep. The small peep is almost too small and it really blocks your field of view. I'm looking for some recommendations. Something with quick target aquisition but also precise enough to make some longer shots. For me longer is 100-200 yrds. Also any good FO sights? Thanks
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Good iron sights for an AR

You can go to Brownells and get replacement front sight posts in a myriad of configurations (same goes for the rear sights). You can request a catalog from them that is nothing but AR parts, you can use this to look a lot of different parts for AR's.

The small peep sight is supposed to limit you field of view as it is for the long distance shots. If you replace the front sight post you may find the 0-200 peep will become better for you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I changed out my front gas block to allow for a scope on the upper rail so that the front sight wasn't sticking up in the scope view.. (no it doesn't really cause a issue, just didn't like it)

Bought a UTG front and rear set through Cheaper TD that I really like and work perfect together. But it does require the gas block with a rail
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

Troy or KAC 200-600. LMT's are also nice and bomb proof if you don't need folders.

Troy

KAC 20-600

LMT

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can go to Brownells and get replacement front sight posts in a myriad of configurations (same goes for the rear sights). You can request a catalog from them that is nothing but AR parts, you can use this to look a lot of different parts for AR's.

The small peep sight is supposed to limit you field of view as it is for the long distance shots. If you replace the front sight post you may find the 0-200 peep will become better for you.
    Agreed go and get a .050 front sight post The smaller peep sight size is plenty big for the average eye sight. But everyones eyes are different and you may need a slighty bigger hole size,you can open it up easily using a small drill bit of the proper size.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I also don't like the standard 0-200 yrd peep it's too big for me to hit accurately so I've been using the smaller peep. The small peep is almost too small and it really blocks your field of view. I'm looking for some recommendations. Something with quick target aquisition but also precise enough to make some longer shots.
    You're probably not going to like this, but the problem you describe was "fixed" with the A1 sights

I like the Troy sights that came with my AR. And, yes, that hole does seem large, but you get used to it & your groups will tighten up.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

The size of the rear peep hole serves two primary and one secondary function. The size of the peep hole regulates how much light your aiming eye receives. To little light will cause you to loose edge definition of the rear peep and increase graying of the targets black area and/or give the illusion of lint in the rear peep. Too large of a peep will let in too much light in bright conditions and may force you to squint which can cause other problems, in addition, it decreases the depth of focus. The peep sight acts like a camera's aperture. When the aperture opening is reduced more objects at various distances become simultaneously in-focus. As you open the aperture, objects at various distances(as in front sight) can become less in focus.

The secondary function is field of view for combat and low light situations, hence the larger aperture on the A2 sight. As for aiming accuracy it is a common belief that a smaller aperture will be more accurate because of the reduce opening which supposedly in turn reduces the chance of aiming errors, this is misunderstood, your eye will naturally find the center of the rear peep regardless of it's size.

As for the size of the front sight, the standard AR front sight was designed to be the width of a human torso at 300 yards (IIRC), so soldiers could estimate range. I personally use a wider front sight for competition, I want to be able to clearly focus on it with little edge graying in all light conditions.

If you want to shoot competition then play with the rear sight, if you are going to use it for anything else, stick with what came with the platform and learn how to use it properly.
    Last edited by Hawk; June 1st, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

I found a set on there with seven front sights for $35, I think I might try that out. I guess I should just practice more with the larger peep. I have a huge peep on my bow and I'm accurate with that so it's pretty much the same thing. I really liked the post with the ball on top. I think you would naturally center the round ball in the round peep. I'll play around with a few of them and see which one works best.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Go here for really good rear sights and info.
    www.bjonessights.com

jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE