Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slight problem with AK47 cycling, could use some suggestions Please

I just thought of something. You replaced the original gas block right? If so, is it a 90 degree gas black or a 45 degree? What was the original? I'm guessing a 45 degree.

If you replaced a 45 degree GB with a 90 degree GB, then your definitely not getting enough gas through the block. You definitely would need to open up the port.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I just thought of something. You replaced the original gas block right? If so, is it a 90 degree gas black or a 45 degree? What was the original? I'm guessing a 45 degree.

If you replaced a 45 degree GB with a 90 degree GB, then your definitely not getting enough gas through the block. You definitely would need to open up the port.
    Did not think of this at all. Nevermind about drilling it on the rifle. That's nearly impossible on the 45* standard gas block.

It's completely impossible on the 90* one.

(Philadelphia County)

Actually I did not replace the gas block....if you guys take a look at the picture I attached in the above post you should be able to see what I did. I used an Ace hooded front sight, it clamps onto the existing gas block...I opted for this instead of removing the entire gas block and replacing it...if I do however, have to take the gas block off to open the gas port more then I will use a Galil style gas block with front sight as I would have preferred to in the first place really. But I still have the original gas block on all standard AK47's on there.

Can I still drill the hole with it on if I take the Ace clamp on front sight off then ???
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Allegheny County)

You should be able to get into it with a long drill bit. The problem is that if it grabs and goes. It may very well hit the other side of the barrel. You're going to really have to be super careful if you do it that way.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    You should be able to get into it with a long drill bit. The problem is that if it grabs and goes. It may very well hit the other side of the barrel. You're going to really have to be super careful if you do it that way.

Ahh ok I get what your saying. Yea that would be a MAJOR problem if that happened. I'm going to wait until this weekend when I take her to the range, see if removing the buffer will fix the problem, hopefully it will.

If not then I'll try your method, maybe even use a dremel with a drill bit so I don't use too much power and just turn it on and off every few seconds to make sure I don't over do it. Thanks for thew advice everyone it is MUCH appreciated.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Montgomery County)

the other solution is use a drill, but insert a brass or aluminum cleaning rod in the barrel to prevent overdrill.

works for me.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    the other solution is use a drill, but insert a brass or aluminum cleaning rod in the barrel to prevent overdrill.

works for me.

NICE ! Great idea, thanks a lot. I didn't even think of doing that, that would be a big help to make sure I don't hit the other side. Thanks again !

(Montgomery County)

also... use masking tape to mark the DEPTH to drill... this is all pretty simple stuff

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    also... use masking tape to mark the DEPTH to drill... this is all pretty simple stuff
    Thank you, yes it pretty much is. I actually do use tape on the bit to know where exactly to stop...luckily doing construction actually taught me that lol and especially with something so precise as drilling a barrel. But it does help to be reminded of these things as sometimes I do get a head of myself and forget somethings, lol wouldn't be the first time either but I appreciate everyone's input and thanks again.

(Montgomery County)

heh, well, i use the tape AND put a rod in the barrel... cuz sometimes i'm clumsy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast