Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Range in Carlisle

Is the range in Carlisle Open yet???

If it is Im thinking aobut heading out, anyone wanna go shooting tomorrow?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Range in Carlisle

The public handgun range is still closed as of today.

The sign reads, "Need new posts, will open ASAP."

(Dauphin County)

WTF i seen that same exact sign about 3 weeks ago.....they do know they can get posts at home depot ect...right....this range reclamation is really going on longer than it needs to be and being unnesscary

(Cumberland County)

Yeah I was pretty disappointed. I drove all the way from Harrisburg (around the ridiculous Wertzville Road detour) to try out my new Glock 23 only to be turned away by the "Range Closed" signs. It would be nice if they updated (or finished) their website.

(Dauphin County)

i drive there from harrisburg also, and i feel the same way when i go there and its closed

(Cumberland County)

2 words guys, private clubs. Not trying to be smart, but most of them are fairly reasonable to join and there are a few between you and the range in Carlisle.

(Dauphin County)

yea I keep saying that I'm going to join a private club but it feels like you have to jump through a ring of fire just to even join. Ex. You need two club members signatures....I don't know any members I just wanna shoot and leave.I don't wanna have to wait to show up to public events just to hound members for signatures. I could offer my services to some clubs but I don't know any clubs that need an IT/web guy LOL

(Cumberland County)

Talk to Bullfrog Ken here, he is the president of West Shore, I am sure he could help you out.

(York County)

jb12string,

I've already tried. There are at least half a dozen membership ranges one drives past on the way to Carlisle from Harrisburg. I encouraged the gentleman early this year to join any one of Central PA's many private clubs to go shoot. Four months ago I gave him a link for a membership application to West Shore Sportsmen's; posted the days and times when I'm regularly out there so he can have his tour; and told him I'd sponsor him if he didn't know anyone there. He has yet to take me up on the offer.

It appears he doesn't like the paperwork and joining a Club is too much of a hassle for him.

When you join a private club, you literally get the keys to the door. Most of the time when you go shoot at a private club, you are there with little or absolutely no supervision. A large amount of trust is extended to you to respect the facilities and conduct yourself responsibly. You'll have to forgive these clubs if we'd like to meet you first.

The Game Commission doesn't exist to operate gun ranges. Their first priority is to manage our wildlife resources. As I said before crakkajakka15, if all you want is a place to go where you shoot and leave and don't want the "hassle" of the membership process, go on down to Freedom Armory south of York to shoot. They'll be happy to rent you a lane and take your money.

Or you can continue to complain about how a free, public range isn't open for you while its under construction. But one thing's certain: there's no such thing in life as a free ride.

I'm from western Maryland, where my home county had all of 3 gun ranges for nearly 250,000 residents. The waiting lists for the private ranges were hundreds deep, several years long, and cost hundreds of dollars to join. I guess I just don't tolerate someone complaining about not being able to find a place to shoot in Central PA very well.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Cumberland County)

The range is now open in Carlisle again and I was down there yestarday. They replaced the wooden posts with metal ones now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast