Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Nockamixon Firing Range

How long has the firing range at Nockamixon been closed now?

Thanks,

Chris

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

It's been a number of years now CR, fear of lead contamination and concern for homes too close to the range is what I heard. Called the PGC a couple of years ago and they said that they hoped to clean up the lead some day, rebuild the backstops and reopen.
    Until then...Wicens.
    Mike45

(Berks County)

Actually, I live about 15 minutes from Wicens, but I've never been. I'm a member of Paletown Rod and Gun Club, which is down off of 313, not far past 563.

I used to go to Nockamixon all the time. A friend and I were talking about it the other day, we were just trying to remember when exactly it was closed. I don't know how much I miss that range or not, though. I saw a LOT of stupid stuff there.

Gotta agree with you CR....a lot of stupid people doing stupid things at Nockamixon, ruined it for the rest of us. I work with a former Ranger from the park and another reason for the closing was accidents and suicides.

(Bucks County)

Unhappy Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

Back in February, I saw a press release from 2005 stating that this range has been closed for repair. I sent an email to the PA Game Commission to ask about the status of the project. This is the response I got:

"According to the Southeast Region office, as of this time, the range will not be reopened due to environmental and safety issues."

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Gotta agree with you CR....a lot of stupid people doing stupid things at Nockamixon, ruined it for the rest of us. I work with a former Ranger from the park and another reason for the closing was accidents and suicides.
    Suicides? I'm not aware of many suicides, or for that matter, any deaths at the PGC Nockamixon Shooting Range. Is there more to this?

(Bucks County)

Angry Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

About a year ago I also wrote PGC and got the stock reply. At that point I wrote my state senator and state Representative they both enquired of the PGC and sent me copies of the same letter that I received it appears that they don't want a public range in southeastern PA the keep them open where you don't need them and can shoot targets from your back porch
    Andy

(Berks County)

FINALLY!!! I just read the SGL 157 Range will be reopening in 2009. Cleanup has been completed and they putting on some finishing touches.

To: GM, PGCNEWS
    Subject: PGC News Release: Improvements Made to Shooting Ranges on SGLs

Release #114-08

Oct. 21, 2008

For Information Contact:
    Jerry Feaser
    PGCNews@state.pa.us

GAME COMMISSION USES GROWING GREENER II MONIES TO IMPROVE PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGES ON STATE GAME LANDS

HARRISBURG – Benefiting from Growing Greener II monies, Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced that the agency is nearing completion of its first major overhaul of public shooting ranges on State Game Lands, as it seeks to address lead remediation, repairs and safety issues.

- SGL 157, Bucks County, has been cleaned, but work continues to address safety concerns. Due to the ongoing work, this range is not expected to be reopened until 2009.

Hope it helps...

I am so glad to be proven wrong in my belief that the state was purposely closing ranges. As it turns out their actually improving them, at least as far as safety is concerned. Hate to see the 25yd gone from 143 even though I hardly ever use it. To those who felt I was being cynical in my view of the closures, thank God you were right!
    Now I can make good on my promise of a box of .22's to a member up that way.

(Bucks County)

I have to add this.

I was there about a month ago. There was no evidence of any work there. The benches are all gone. Theres been no work at the backstops. Nothing.

Can you do lead remediation in a month? I might go back next week, but pheasant season opens, and I don't want to go when the crazies are up there. If I go, I'll post an update.

There was a pit near the backstops that they were using for roadkill. Nice eight pointer in there. No way I was going in to get those antlers. lol

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast