Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Default Upgrades to my Ruger Mark III Hunter...

As posted in my previous thread, I was having issues with my Mark III which were entirely caused by the LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). Upon removing the LCI, I have experienced 3 stovepipes in close to 1000 rounds (which all happened when my girlfriend shot it and is completely acceptable regardless).

In my quest for the solution to my problem, I stumbled upon this site: http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm which also had a lot of forum threads on disabling things like the magazine disconnect.

I figured I would disable the magazine disconnect to make the assembly and disassembly process that much easier (won't need to insert and remove magazines).

I purchased a Volquartsen Ruger Mark II hammer bushing from Midway as well as a new Volquartsen Mark II/III target sear. I figured if I was going to disassemble it anyway, I might as well do it all at once.

Taking it apart was easy with the site's step by step instructions. Installation was easy and reassembly went without a hitch. I noticed immediately that the trigger pull was even lighter and better than before (which I think the stock Mark III trigger is actually pretty good).

I am extremely pleased with how easy everything went. Now I am still waiting on the Volquartsen Bolt Tune Up kit (firing pin and extractor) that I ordered directly from Volquartsen. I got an order confirmation, but they still have not shipped yet despite the Midway order being placed the next day. I didn't anticipate the midway order or else I would have probably ordered the Mark II bushing and sear directly through Volquartsen (and would still be waiting).

And all of this happened just when I thought I couldn't love my problem free Ruger Mark III even more.

The Volquartsen Sear and Mark II bushing get my 2 thumbs up for ease and delivering exactly what they claim to at a very modest price.

-Zach

Default Re: Upgrades to my Ruger Mark III Hunter...

My MKIII is my favorite pistol to currently shoot. Have fun with it!
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Pulled the mag safety a while back and just did the Volquartsen MkII Trigger/Hammer/Sear kit, MkII bushing, and MkIII grip. I'll see how things go WRT the grip but the trigger seems OK dry-firing. Maybe hit the range later this week. If I wasn't such a sucker for the stainless, fluted bull barrel, I just would have hunted down a MkII
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Bucks County)

Once you install the VQ extractor, all of your stovepipe problems will vanish into thin air. I put one on my 22/45 Hunter and no problems now. I also put the Sear and trigger in. I still have the LCI, but no more problems with stovepipes. Over on Guntalk, there was a guy making a stainless filler piece to put in the gun once you remove the plastic LCI. I wonder if he is still selling them?

(Bucks County)

Just contacted Volquartsen today to see what was up with my order taking so long. They got back to me today (within 10 minutes) and had my items put on a truck today! They said they have been busy (and with their top notch products, I am not surprised) and apologized for the delay.

They get points for excellent customer service and I am pleased as can be with the sear and bushing I already have from them. I know the bolt tune up kit is going to be another easy (no)gunsmithing install.

And I too am a sucker for stainless fluted barrels. In fact, that was my only initial requirement when buying my .22 pistol. I was torn between the buckmark and the ruger (like everybody else) but ultimately went with the ruger for a few small reasons.

I think the problem with the LCI is that it gets filled up with dirt and powder residue and there isn't a real good way to clean it without removing it so it sticks a little and when it sticks the extracted shells get bumped off.

I'm sure the volquartsen extractor will be a big improvement, but I have no intention of using the LCI again. I didn't use it before and knowing it caused me any trouble makes me glad I removed it.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I finally received my package from volquartsen containing my bolt tune up kit. As expected, both the firing pin and extractor dropped right in.

I took it to the range the next day with a bulk box of Remington.

I had 2 rounds that did not go off. This seems pretty typical from remington to me. I have not been having very good luck with their ammo. I grant that 2 in a box of 550 is nothing to complain about, but I can go through a box of Federal 550 with 0.

Additionally, the remington ammo was a lot dirtier. I was getting stung with hot powder and debris quite a bit.

The new extractor didn't have any troubles...although I wasn't having any troubles after removing the LCI. However I did notice that it didn't toss the ammo in any discernible pattern. I got whacked in the face a lot more however. I am going to see if it treats Federal bulk ammo any differently. If not, I might be going back to the original extractor.

So far, the real winner was the target sear and mark II bushing.

-Zach