Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrel and appropriate mags

I just bought a Glock 23 and have been researching the Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrels. I've seen really good reports on them and the website suggests using Glock 19 mags for the best function. The standard G19 mags are 10 rounders. I plan on getting one of these mags, but would also like one of the 15 or 33 rounders for fun. Will these high cap mags affect the feeding and perfomance of the conversion barrel? Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrel and appropriate mags

actually the 15 rounders are the standard mags and the 10 rounders are the post ban substitutes. the standard mags work just fine as do the Khan aftermarket ones i have. the g18 30 or 33 round mags work fine as do the versions of the same thing from Khan.
    MORDENTE MEUM

Default Re: Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrel and appropriate mags

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    actually the 15 rounders are the standard mags and the 10 rounders are the post ban substitutes. the standard mags work just fine as do the Khan aftermarket ones i have. the g18 30 or 33 round mags work fine as do the versions of the same thing from Khan.
    Thanks!

I e-mailed Lone Wolf and got a response from one of their reps. JR, in a matter on minutes! The info that he provided is really helpful and very informative. Now that's fantastic service! Here is his response:

"It doesn't matter what the capacity of the mag is. The best results are gained when a 9mm mag is used. I also included other information you will find useful:

About 1% of our conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of Winchester White Box (WWB) 115 grain ammunition. This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple.
    1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.
    2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.
    3 Go back to the WWB 115 gr ammunition. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make.
    Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 to 13 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.
    Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. WWB 115 gr ammunition is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.
    1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel is thicker than any standard 9mm slide and barrel. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak" WWB ammunition to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.
    2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: WWB 115 gr ammunition is the weakest sub standard ammunition you can purchase. This ammo is also known to produce failures in all standard Glock 9mm pistols. "

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    Some of the Korean mags that I have won't feed some longer ammo. I've been loading all my ammo to 1.15", and it will fit in, but won't feed. Although I haven't tried WWB, IIRC it is 1.16".

Besides that, not very many Korean Glock mags will drop free. Glock mags are $20 (or less) from OMB Express, CDNN Investments, and some gun show vendors, and I've only ever had problems with one very-used Glock magazine.

Isn't this the rifle forum?
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    I just bought a Glock 23 and have been researching the Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrels. I've seen really good reports on them and the website suggests using Glock 19 mags for the best function. The standard G19 mags are 10 rounders. I plan on getting one of these mags, but would also like one of the 15 or 33 rounders for fun. Will these high cap mags affect the feeding and perfomance of the conversion barrel? Thanks!
    There are other options out there also, although I know that Lone Wolf is seemingly the "leader" in glock barrels...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/91...40s-w-9mm.html

EFK Firedragon and Bar-Sto to name a couple others.

(Bucks County)

I bought a LW 40-9 barrel and (2) 15rd GLOCK 19 mags. All I have done is swap the barrels and it functioned flawelessly with WWB. I have been thinking of selling the mags and barrel because I rarely ever swap from .40.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

Thanks for the info from Lone wolf, Sinatra.

I have a G27 I'm planning on getting the 40/9mm barrel conversion for from LW.
    Since I already WWB from Wally World I would probably be shooting some of it through my G27. They just started selling a quality swiss 9 ammo which I will shoot first then try the WWB.

Bought the 15 round Korean 9mm mags at CDNN for $10 a piece. So for $120 and shipping you get two guns. A 40 and a 9mm. Good deal.

Yes, this should be posted in the pistol section.

I bought a LW 40>9mm barrel for my G23 & 3 factory G19 mags a few months ago. I have maybe 50 rounds of WWB & 250 of various reloads I had laying around thru it & the only malfunction I've had was when I experimented to see if the 9mm's would feed from the G23 mags.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

My Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 arrived the other day, along with some KCI after market Glock 19 mags.

I bought four magazines that came with mag pouches. All four of them worked without a hitch. Not bad for $40 total. I wasn't sure how the 40-9 conversion barrel would perform, but it was FANTASTIC! I just dropped it in and used the Glock 19 mags. I didn't have to change out the ejector or anything else. The barrel was really accurate, and was basically point and shoot. It only cost $99 and I can now shoot lead (sans jacket) bullets without worrying about a KB.

I had a lot of fun shooting with my LW 40-9 barrel and went through about 150 rounds in no time. The shots were fired mostly from about 20 feet, but some were at the 5-7 range. I can't wait to have my wife try it out. I recommend this barrel to those who want to save money while practicing, but want to have a .40 cal pistol at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images