Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 2nd, 2009
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Bucks County)
newbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nice
Default Colt Pony 380 value

Hello,
Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have brushed nickle colt pony DAO that I purchased years ago for my wife. Finally got her to the range and she didn't like it at all. There was no recoil at all but the trigger pull was crazy long. She fired 12 & I shot 6. All I could think of when shooting it was " will this thing ever fire?" She tried my P226 and my colt mustang. Both of them she loved and they are much more accurate. Now I want to sell it and get her something else. I don't want to be a fool and be taken advantage of by a local shop.
I just don't have any idea of it's value. I am shocked at some of the prices I see on the web for it. Some of them are over $1,000. Could this be?
I only paid about $400.00 for it years ago. It has 18 rounds thru it.

Thanks for any help anyone may give.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 2nd, 2009
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colt Pony 380 value

What I see in my book is: Colt Pony - .380 ACP, DAO, 2 3/4 " barrel, bobbed hammer, 6 rnd mag, stainless construction, brushed finish, fixec sights, black composition grips. Unless it is the Pony Pocketlite Lightweight, then it is aluminum and stainless. In 100% condition (according to the Blue Book of Gun Values) it is worth $600, 98% - $500, 95% - $400.

Hope this helps.
Old April 2nd, 2009
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Colt Pony it is all stainless. The Pocketlite version is a stainless slide on a alloy frame. There were no nickle plated Pony pistols that I know of.

The trigger on the Pony is a pain in the ass. And there is nothing that can be done to improve it enough for a woman with weak hands. The Pony uses a pig tail trigger spring held in place by the grip panel. No known company makes a spring for it. A polish job helps...but not much.

As for Blue Book pricing... throw that out when it comes to Colt pistols no longer made.

A Colt Pony is worth whatever people are willing to pay. And yes, last time I looked them up people were paying $750 + for them. A gun shop will give you used Blue Book price.

Post it for sale on Gunbroker and start it out at $600. It will bring every penny I'm sure.

I have the Pony, Pony Pocketlite, Mustang, Mustang Pocketlite and .380 Govt. A few of the factory boxes still have price tags of $389 on them. I could get $700 each easy today.

Hell I paid $500 for my Anaconda, and they bring $1000 today.

I blew $900 on ammo this month or I would consider taking it off of you.

You have a rather rare gun, only made for a few years - Dont give it away!
Old April 2nd, 2009
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Bucks County)
newbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nicenewbuck is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Colt Pony 380 value

Wow,
That's good info.

As you said, she had difficulty finnishing the trigger pull.

I really appreciate you guys giving your advice. This does seem like the place to get helpful info from friendly folks.

Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2009
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luning View Post
Wow,
That's good info.

As you said, she had difficulty finnishing the trigger pull.

I really appreciate you guys giving your advice. This does seem like the place to get helpful info from friendly folks.

Thanks

BTW - Welcome to PAFOA!!
Old April 4th, 2009
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute

Buckmark is right on the money - take his advice.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad
Old April 4th, 2009
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
normanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
If you have a Colt Pony it is all stainless. The Pocketlite version is a stainless slide on a alloy frame. There were no nickle plated Pony pistols that I know of.

The trigger on the Pony is a pain in the ass. And there is nothing that can be done to improve it enough for a woman with weak hands. The Pony uses a pig tail trigger spring held in place by the grip panel. No known company makes a spring for it. A polish job helps...but not much.

As for Blue Book pricing... throw that out when it comes to Colt pistols no longer made.

A Colt Pony is worth whatever people are willing to pay. And yes, last time I looked them up people were paying $750 + for them. A gun shop will give you used Blue Book price.

Post it for sale on Gunbroker and start it out at $600. It will bring every penny I'm sure.

I have the Pony, Pony Pocketlite, Mustang, Mustang Pocketlite and .380 Govt. A few of the factory boxes still have price tags of $389 on them. I could get $700 each easy today.

Hell I paid $500 for my Anaconda, and they bring $1000 today.

I blew $900 on ammo this month or I would consider taking it off of you.

You have a rather rare gun, only made for a few years - Dont give it away!
I have one. Did not know they were all that rare. Great pocket gun.
Old April 4th, 2009

(Montgomery County)
GeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeF has a reputation beyond repute

My Mustang Pocketlite is my daily carry gun. People are always amazed at how little felt recoil there is compared to every other .380 out there. Even the rather hefty Sig 232 is snappy compared to the Pocketlite (blowback vs locked breech).

The next question I get is ALWAYS 'How much for me to get one of those?'

They then get shocked when I tell them that they are out of production and sky high costs. Despite this, I have two buddies scouring the shows and shops for ones in excellent shape.

You should EASILY fetch North of $600 for that fine pistol.
Old April 4th, 2009
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other posters about how much they will sell for. I was just giving what the BBGV says about it. Any gun that was a limited production will almost always fetch more than that "book" value. Also the market comes into play. The more desirable the gun the more it will sell for. If I were to be selling I would look at the auction sites and see what the going price seems to be and then list accordingly. DO NOT TAKE IT TO A GUN SHOP!!!! They will never give you what the current rate is. They will try to buy it for as little as possible and so shops may try to convince you that it is worth less because of blah, blah, blah, just to try to get it cheap. They know what it's going to sell for so sell it yourself, you'll be better off.
Old April 4th, 2009

(Lehigh County)
Sir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond reputeSir Knight has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen NIB and LNIB models SELL on gunbroker for around a thousand. They're sleeper guns.