Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute
Default Browning / Sig Sauer BDA history

In 1976 Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft (SIG) introduced what would become the P220. It was manufactured by Sauer.
It was the first model of the classic "P" series Sigs. It was originally chambered in 9mm and then later in .45acp and .38 Super.

In 1977, Sig Sauer contracted with Browning to import the gun. It became known as the Browning Double Action or BDA. Browning imported these guns until 1980, when Sig decided to import them into the US on their own.

SIGARMS was established in the early 1980's, first in Tyson's Corner, Virginia and then a few years later in Herndon, Virginia. They moved their operations to Exeter, New Hampshire in 1990.

I've been looking for a clean BDA for sometime now and I was lucky enough to finally find one complete with the original box and papers.
It has a date code of "HJ" which makes it a 1978. It's chambered in .45acp and it looks to be fired very little (maybe only factory test fired). It is an interesting gun as it says "Browning Arms Co., Morgan Utah & Montreal PQ" on the left side of the slide, and "Sig Sauer System, Made in W. Germany" on the right side of the slide. Three countrys on one gun!

The gun is exactly the same as a P220, only the finish on the flats of the slide is much nicer.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Last edited by 1blindref; March 30th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
mojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Browning / Sig Sauer BDA history

Wow ... great picture and a great story. I love reading about the history too.
WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Shawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond repute

looks brand new !
nice find
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Jay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud ofJay5oh has much to be proud of

So is it listed as a browning or a sig? Either way pretty neat.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
So is it listed as a browning or a sig? Either way pretty neat.
Thanks!
It is a Browning.

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM

(York County)
FUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond reputeFUNDAMENTALS has a reputation beyond repute

You have found an excellent BDA w/European Magazine Release. She is
a "Keeper" for all time. Nice going

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
do Nothing"
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
andrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to andrewjs18 Send a message via MSN to andrewjs18 Send a message via Yahoo to andrewjs18

shit, that's nice.

what did it run you?

eventually, I'm wanting to get a Browning hi-power...they shoot so sweet.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
shit, that's nice.

what did it run you?

eventually, I'm wanting to get a Browning hi-power...they shoot so sweet.
Thanks!

I traded a newer P226R PME for it.
The gun I traded was worth about $50-$75 more than the BDA, but I have been looking for one for a long time now. I didn't think I'd find one that nice again, so I did the deal.

I've been wanting to add a hi-power to my collection also. I'm waiting for the right deal.

Old October 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM

(Luzerne County)
Big D has a spectacular aura aboutBig D has a spectacular aura about

Nice Find! PM me when your ready to sell it!
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Nice Find! PM me when your ready to sell it!
Thanks!
You are third in line - right behind my two sons.