Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glocks are too dangerous

This article is from 1992 and I find it to be a fascinating 2-page read. I also wonder what it would look like if written today.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/31/ny...pposition.html

Default Re: Glocks are too dangerous

He added that cleaning the Glock can be hazardous because it must be taken apart and the trigger must be pulled. He called that feature unnecessarily dangerous, saying that an officer who neglects to check the firing chamber may find himself shooting off a bullet. "People forget," he said. "People indulge in alcohol. You don't have to be drunk to make a mistake, maybe just have had a few beers."
    Quoted for the win ^^^^^^lol

My how times have changed.
    A good read and a damn good historical reference point as police departments began militarizing, even though they were unaware where it all was going.
    FUCK BIDEN

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Mr. Chenow of the Chicago Police Department said officials there acknowledged that officers needed greater firepower, but determined that Glocks were too dangerous for innocent civilians, who might be struck by an accidental volley. Glocks have been known to discharge several bullets with only one trigger pull, he said.
    Automatic Glocks? I'm not a Glock fan, but if I could get a full-auto one....

It took a LOT to get the NYPD (and other depts with idiots) pistols over the revolvers they had for years. Mostly because of ignorance, stupidity and politics. Then god forbid they adequately train the officers and give them ammo/range time to get proficient with the pistols.

Doesn't really matter what gun you issue them, a careless idiot with a gun always prevails at doing something stupid.

You are not worthy. Only LE departments can get G18s or conversions. Along with certain FFLs with the right permission from the BATFE.

I sure would like one, it would be fun. Especially with the little skeleton stock they make for them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    You need one, cause you never know when you'll need it.

The "flaw" in the Glock design is humans that are too stupid/lazy to check the chamber before dis-assembly? Yup, the first thing I do before I start cleaning my guns is drink a 5th of Tequila.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It took a LOT to get the NYPD (and other depts with idiots) pistols over the revolvers they had for years. Mostly because of ignorance, stupidity and politics. Then god forbid they adequately train the officers and give them ammo/range time to get proficient with the pistols.

Doesn't really matter what gun you issue them, a careless idiot with a gun always prevails at doing something stupid.

You are not worthy. Only LE departments can get G18s or conversions. Along with certain FFLs with the right permission from the BATFE.

I sure would like one, it would be fun. Especially with the little skeleton stock they make for them.

This explains why a retired NY cop I know HATES my semi-auto pistol and said I should have bought a revolver.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    This article is from 1992 and I find it to be a fascinating 2-page read. I also wonder what it would look like if written today.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/31/ny...pposition.html
    It's even more fascinating as a window into a time when U.S. police were concerned about becoming over-militarized.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post

Count me in. It's basically a G17 with a happy switch. I can't see me using it as a FA much. But why have a 17 when you can have an 18?

It does everything a 17 does until you flip a switch. Then it does a little more.

(Delaware County)

providing Glocks for more than 200 uniformed officers who drive patrol cars for sergeants.
    Why are there officers needed to chauffeur sergeants? They can't drive themselves? Seems a huge waste of money / resources.

On topic though... I specifically chose my XD over a glock because I wanted more than just the trigger safety. (I know there are other safeties in the gun but I mean the external user operated type).
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    Why are there officers needed to chauffeur sergeants? They can't drive themselves? Seems a huge waste of money / resources.

On topic though... I specifically chose my XD over a glock because I wanted more than just the trigger safety. (I know there are other safeties in the gun but I mean the external user operated type).
    Cause of all the booze mentioned earlier. Booze and donuts, yum.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast