Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
arjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glock 42 ship dates announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
exactly Id' preorder a single stack 9 to compete with the xds.
Exactly why I just bought a Kahr CM9, if I new Glock was coming out with a single stack 9mm I would have bought 2.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:58 PM

(Montgomery County)
NJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond reputeNJCzbt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for a single stack 9, but every company has tried and IMO every company that came out with a small 9 did a good job, but everyone has something a little off about it. Maybe Glock knows better than to even bother trying. Even though it would sell a billion of them
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:44 PM

G17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond reputeG17-5291 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
No offense and I'm a Glock fan, that gun is a real turd. Of all the things they could have done that IMO is the worst. A single stack 9mm would have been a hit, but a .380 is a laugher and so 10 years ago.
And the price for a .380

I might buy one if it was around 300 or less
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
wellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond reputewellcraft has a reputation beyond repute

how does the new G42 compare in size to a glock 29 or 30? Is it the width/height and overall length as other compact glocks just chambered in 380? if so why would anyone want a heavy cumbersome 380 when so many true 380 pocket pistols are already on the market.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Washington County)
M&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM&P Chris has a reputation beyond repute

This appears to have an ambi mag catch.

Is that a fair statement?
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM

(Montgomery County)
Tommy T is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking forward to the G42 as a pocket gun, but I'm not sure what market niche Glock is aiming for wich a medium sixe .380.

Seems to me there are pocket guns and holster guns. The former are harder to tame, but can be carried easily in a pocket, e.g. TCP or LCP.

In the latter category, there are many small and light 9mms, such as the Kahrs. If it's too big to handily carry in a pocket, why would you not get a small 9mm?

IMHO, he G42 is too big to be comfortably carried in a pocket/cargo shorts in summer.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Grand Member

(Tioga County)
wanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCzbt View Post
I'm all for a single stack 9, but every company has tried and IMO every company that came out with a small 9 did a good job, but everyone has something a little off about it. Maybe Glock knows better than to even bother trying. Even though it would sell a billion of them
Someone that works for one of the firearms manufacturers told me that the little mini 9mm's are rather pointless and only a marketing gimmick as the short barrels don't allow the round to efficiently use all the powder in a 9mm case and achieve the velocity they should and effectively you end up back at the power of a .380.

I'm no expert or engineering wizard, but I guess that is one explanation.

From my perspective, I see the pocket mini pistols as something as a deep concealment, last ditch, very close range pistol I can tuck away in my pocket. Personally I prefer 9mm for that if possible because I have tons of that ammo, but I don't think the exact caliber matters much for what it would be used for because I would not entertain those pistols as my primary defensive pistol.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
QuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond reputeQuackXP has a reputation beyond repute

It's to big to replace my LCP as a pocket firearm.

The fact that it's a .380 instead of a 9mm does not make it a suitable replacement for my Kahr CW9. Although length and width are almost identical between the 42 and the CW9. I can just barely get a comfortable three finger trip on the CW9. Without handling the 42 I dont know if I could get the same grip given that its about .4" shorter . Ill take 7+1 9mm over 6+1 .380 for close to the same size any day.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Grand Member

(Carbon County)
father-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond reputefather-of-three has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
how does the new G42 compare in size to a glock 29 or 30? Is it the width/height and overall length as other compact glocks just chambered in 380? if so why would anyone want a heavy cumbersome 380 when so many true 380 pocket pistols are already on the market.
True. The 42 looks to be just slightly smaller than a glock 26 (and 27). It just doesn't seem small enough to be an easily concealed pocket pistol.

I wish they could have found a way to make the Glock 25 and 28 available in the States.
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Grand Member

(Tioga County)
wanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
True. The 42 looks to be just slightly smaller than a glock 26 (and 27). It just doesn't seem small enough to be an easily concealed pocket pistol.

I wish they could have found a way to make the Glock 25 and 28 available in the States.
Where the 42 is going to be different is in the width. I find the 26 to be a chunky pistol.