Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default 1911 with bull barrel?

As title says.
    My officer sized 1911 came with bull barrel without bushing, and reverse plug.
    Seems to work good, and accurate enough for what I use it for.

But all my other 1911's are conventional barrel with bushing/GI plug set up.

My TRP came with this set up with FLGR, which I removed it and replaced it with GI set up.

But I do notice that the TRP Operator with full rail model(no longer on catalogue I guess) came with bull barrel with reverse plug set up.

I have recently purchased RIA 2011 - Which is full railed(or slob slide?), and has conventional barrel set up.
    I have been thinking perhaps I want to convert this to bull barrel set up - Mainly because I think bull barrel set up looks cool, but any aftermarket bull barrel would be far more precise than $45 barrel they use on these guns.

SO here is my question - What is the "TRUE" benefit of bull barrel in 1911?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 1911 with bull barrel?

A bull barrel is, of course, heavier. Therefore, there should be less felt recoil with the bull barrel. The bull barrel will also theoretically stay in battery a bit longer as there is more surface contact between the front of the slide and the surface of the bull barrel as compared to a bushing equipped pistol.

I noticed no difference between a bull barrel and a barrel/bushing in .45 acp. I absolutely love a bull barrel in a 10 mm though. To me it makes a big difference in felt recoil in 10mm.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    I noticed no difference between a bull barrel and a barrel/bushing in .45 acp. I absolutely love a bull barrel in a 10 mm though. To me it makes a big difference in felt recoil in 10mm.
    I run a Kimber in 10mm for IDPA. (I'm a huge 10mm fan). Could you point out a few links for this set up ? I'm also assuming a new slide would be needed ?
    Last edited by DucatiRon; July 1st, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

In theory it should be more accurate too, but i am not that good of a shooter to see or notice any difference at all (if there is) and id venture to guess many on here sit in that same boat...if you catch my drift

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I run a Kimber in 10mm for IDPA. (I'm a huge 10mm fan). Could you point out a few links for this set up ? I'm also assuming a new slide would be needed ?
    Wilson Combat can make just about any of its "models" with a 10mm bull barrel. I have a Wilson Tactical LE in 10mm. It is awesome.

Mity, I consider you one of me mates, here, so please don't be offended if my response isn't exactly what you're looking for.

Right off the bat, I'll tell you I don't think there is enough of an advantage to do what you want to with that gun. To really see an advantage, you would want everything on that firearm as tight as it could be, and paying to tighten a 1911 if you do not know how to do it is a few $$$ in itself.

Consider a couple things not including getting the frame and slide mated to take advantage of a good bull barrel. Once you purchase the barrel, you have to have it precisely fitted to the slide. Also, to get the best accuracy and unlock timing, the barrel link has to be the right size. Your average gun smith is not qualified to do these things.

Just these things alone would make shy away from doing the conversion and maybe looking in to doing a barrel bushing refit, which can get you darn close to competitive group sizes as long as the frame and slide already mate well. This conversion (not the barrel bushing refit) isn't cheap, overall, and if you're not going to use it for the strictest of bullseye shooting, I would stay away from it.

FWIW, it took me 50 years to discover cool isn't always the best way to go. It surely isn't kind to your wallet. If you have the means, then by ALL means...it can give you a good return. Just be sure you get someone who really knows what they are doing in ALL the aspects of doing a conversion, and not just sticking a barrel in your slide for you.

As a side note, have you considered the TRP Operator that is still being offered? It's pretty well established to be one of the most desirable production packages out there, and the rail that comes on it is closer to the traditional 1911. It is an amazing package for $1500. Also, there are a number of MC Operators out there that have the full length rail. Prices are close to the TRP. If you happened to find a full length railed TRP Operator, used, expect to pay close to 200% of the original price. Just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by harold63; July 2nd, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: can't type for shit, today
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Mity, I consider you one of me mates, here, so please don't be offended if my response isn't exactly what you're looking for.

Right off the bat, I'll tell you I don't think there is enough of an advantage to do what you want to with that gun. To really see an advantage, you would want everything on that firearm as tight as it could be, and paying to tighten a 1911 if you do not know how to do it is a few $$$ in itself.

Consider a couple things not including getting the frame and slide mated to take advantage of a good bull barrel. Once you purchase the barrel, you have to have it precisely fitted to the slide. Also, to get the best accuracy and unlock timing, the barrel link has to be the right size. Your average gun smith is not qualified to do these things.

Just these things alone would make shy away from doing the conversion and maybe looking in to doing a barrel bushing refit, which can get you darn close to competitive group sizes as long as the frame and slide already mate well. This conversion (not the barrel bushing refit) isn't cheap, overall, and if you're not going to use it for the strictest of bullseye shooting, I would stay away from it.

FWIW, it took me 50 years to discover cool isn't always the best way to go. It surely isn't kind to your wallet. If you have the means, then by ALL means...it can give you a good return. Just be sure you get someone who really knows what they are doing in ALL the aspects of doing a conversion, and not just sticking a barrel in your slide for you.

As a side note, have you considered the TRP Operator that is still being offered? It's pretty well established to be one of the most desirable production packages out there, and the rail that comes on it is closer to the traditional 1911. It is an amazing package for $1500. Also, there are a number of MC Operators out there that have the full length rail. Prices are close to the TRP. If you happened to find a full length railed TRP Operator, used, expect to pay close to 200% of the original price. Just throwing that out there.
    Dude, this is the reason why I asked. To seek wisdom.

Bull barrel was just an idea I had. Thanks for the input.

As far as TRP Operator goes - I have none railed TRP. Its an amazing gun for the money, and I would LOVE to have TRP Operator with full rail.

But like you said, they were hard to find back when it was in line up, and prices for the used one are through the roof.
    As great as they might be, there is no way I'm gonna shell out $$$ for one when asking price is MORE than that of something like LesBear Thunder Ranch(Thunder ranch MSRP is $1980. I've seen slightly used Full rail TRP sold for hair over $2000 recently).

I'm not sure what the MC operator is going for. But they might be near the price I may be able to afford...

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Dude, this is the reason why I asked. To seek wisdom.

Bull barrel was just an idea I had. Thanks for the input.
    Thanks. I don't know if it is unwise to do this conversion as long as it is done by someone who knows precisely what they are doing. You hate to see someone spend that kind of scratch to do an upgrade and then not get the job done right. If you let someone like Brazos Custom Gun Works (or known custom shop...maybe even Les Baer or Springfield's) do the work, you may see a great improvement over what you have since they all do everything to a 1911 that would let you take advantage of the conversion, but it isn't cheap. I have found that to gain even a slight edge over a competitor or just getting to a point where you match them can cost bookoo $$$. As always, if a person can afford to do something they want to, then by all means. Heck, we only live once.

BTW, the MC Operator w/full railed dust cover looks like they are going between $1600 and $1700. Ouch.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post

BTW, the MC Operator w/full railed dust cover looks like they are going between $1600 and $1700. Ouch.
    There is one on GB - 1/2 rail operator with bull barrel and Adjustable Night Sights - buy now price is $1900!

No thanks! Great gun back when I could pick one up new for around $1550, for for $1900, I'd rather pay $80 more for LB Thunder Ranch!