Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

(Clarion County)
dman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dman
Default How long does a Glock last ?

How many G-1 are still around ? The main reason I ask this because those little slide rails on the body just don't look all that tuff ? I've been a machinist in my many endevores and it just doesn't look as tuff as it is ?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
arjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond reputearjohnson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does a Glock last ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
How many G-1 are still around ? The main reason I ask this because those little slide rails on the body just don't look all that tuff ? I've been a machinist in my many endevores and it just doesn't look as tuff as it is ?
They are very tough and there are plenty of early Glocks still in use. I have an early Gen II 1989 and never had a problem.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Grand Member

dkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond reputedkf has a reputation beyond repute

You'll go broke buying ammo before you wear out a lot of firearms on the market today and surpass the prices of the gun many times over. If you manage to shoot the gun enough that a rail breaks out of the frame on your Glock, send it back and Glock will replace it.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Grand Member

300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute

It's the one area that usually never is a problem. The stuff they make a Glock out of is indeed, tough, even the little pieces.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Centre County)
fletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond reputefletchfletch has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you they only last 5 minitues in the microwave
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:58 PM

TGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond reputeTGS has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle Defoor ran a Glock 17 up to 205,000 rounds before replacing it. In that time he replaced 2 recoil springs and 8 trigger return springs.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

IronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchfletch View Post
I can tell you they only last 5 minitues in the microwave
You didn't!!!!????

Well, I do know the frame cleans up quite nicely in the dishwasher! A few drops of oil on the springs & pins & they're GTG.

Note: If your wife has no sense of humor; load, run & empty the dishwasher while she's not home. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:09 AM

(Northampton County)
lhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond reputelhowland.40 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
You didn't!!!!????

Well, I do know the frame cleans up quite nicely in the dishwasher! A few drops of oil on the springs & pins & they're GTG.

Note: If your wife has no sense of humor; load, run & empty the dishwasher while she's not home. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
I really wanna know if he actually did it!
To the op I dont hear much about gen1 anymore, I hear from a lot of glock guys they still have their gen2 but I couldnt confirm or deny the reliability of the gen1 even though they were the first I still beleive they would be up to par with the rest. Probably some replaced parts in them but Im sure their are plenty of gen1's around.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:14 AM

(Cumberland County)
red dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond reputered dog has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How long does a Glock last ?

i have a first gen with over 20,000 rounds thru it. i got tired of keeping track so i don,t bother anymore. the only things done to it was a recall back in the early 90,s if i remember correctly and a new rear adjustable sight. the finish has some wear on the edges but nothing significant. it still works and shoots like a champ. btw i still use the original mags as well. you can tell a difference in the spring tension when you load them(lighter) but they still are reliable. fwiw it is a g17.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Grand Member

Neko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't torture test it and just shoot it like a normal gun the Glock in 9mm, 40 and 45acp will last nearly forever. You will be able to hand them to your Grand kids. IMHO I have about 3k-5k rounds through mines and they look and function brand new. These rounds were mostly shot fast and quick loaded and continued with no problem unless ammo was weak.

Glock has a well deserved reputation of being reliable and nearly indestructable.

My G19 is a Gen 1 and still looks new and running like new.

Last edited by Neko456; April 24th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.