Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

View Poll Results: Ruger SR1911: How Much is Too Much?
800 9 16.36%
750 14 25.45%
700 14 25.45%
650 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
bigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigdawgbeav Send a message via Skype™ to bigdawgbeav
Default Ruger SR1911 Pricing

What is a good price for a Ruger SR1911? How much is too much? I know it's hard to come by, but shouldn't a shop that has one in stock still consider the real cost and not the "demand" cost?

I have seen ones out of stock for less than $600 and out of stock for MSRP of $799. I might have a line on one, but the shop hasn't given me a price yet. Just wondering what someone would be willing to spend.

Last edited by bigdawgbeav; April 6th, 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Grand Member

(Pike County)
LifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond reputeLifeInPa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ruger SR1911 Pricing

That is something you really have to decide for yourself. It comes down to how badly you want it and how much your willing to spend. Personally I love the SR1911: The finish/grip combo on the base model, the quality of it, 100% American made and it's low price of $600. For upwards of $800 I would go with the S&W model. This is not a criticism but why not be patient and wait until the hype dies down? At that point it can be had for $600. That's just me though, I really want one but I just cannot afford it for at least another year so my POV might be biased.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM

CL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond repute

Like LifeInPA says... if it's worth it to you, who cares? That being said, I could pick one up at Gander Mountain right now for $750 plus taxes & fees. That probably puts it at over $800 out the door. I want one. But right now, that $800 is too much.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Grand Member

Neko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond reputeNeko456 has a reputation beyond repute

I paid $625 for mines after taxes I've heard of some lucky souls that paid $525 before taxes. I wish I could have gotten in on that then I've heard of some that paid almost $700 about $685-$699 out the door.

The MRSP is about $750 but nobody pays that for a gun.

I think the $625 - $700 is a pretty fair price for this gun. I paid $800+ taxes for my S&W SS E series it is definitly a step up on the Ruger with all the upgrades.

But if you like classic looks and features for a modern 1911, the Ruger SR1911 is hard to beat in SS.

Last edited by Neko456; April 6th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM

(York County)
Beardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond repute

Supply and demand... capitalism...worth what the buyer is willing to pay...Etc.
There saved you guys the next 50 posts LOL.

That said, I have to say that I am not willing to pay much more then $600 for one. If you do pay $7-$800+ that's your business, but if you end up trying to sell it for whatever reason, plan on losing some $.

When it was released it was around the $500-$600 range. I may buy one myself, if they come back down to that price. If they are going to stay in the $7-$800+ range then I can look at a bunch of other quality choices for a full size 1911.

I am in no big hurry to buy one, You would think Ruger just invented the 1911 the way these thing are talked about and so popular, When in reality just about every gun maker makes one, and the design is over 100 yrs old???

Last edited by Beardog; April 6th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

(Indiana County)
39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute

A $625 price is a fair markup IMO.

Any more is screwing the customer to make a fast buck IMO.
If a guy wants to much pay more than that, I hope he gets free lube with the deal.
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
bigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond reputebigdawgbeav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigdawgbeav Send a message via Skype™ to bigdawgbeav

Thanks for the advice so far. Like I said, I know this is in short supply so I really have no negotiating room. And if I don't pay what they want then someone else will. I am OK with that as it's not imperative that I own this weapon. I can wait till Ruger gets the production numbers up. But if they can get it at a decent price then it'll be nice knowing that I have one of the few SR1911's in the area. Would make me feel special.
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Grand Member

(Indiana County)
39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute39flathead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. Like I said, I know this is in short supply so I really have no negotiating room. And if I don't pay what they want then someone else will. I am OK with that as it's not imperative that I own this weapon. I can wait till Ruger gets the production numbers up. But if they can get it at a decent price then it'll be nice knowing that I have one of the few SR1911's in the area. Would make me feel special.
PM sent.

If you do buy, be sure to strip it and check out the frame for casting defects.
There have been more than one posted on the net with deep voids in the frame that Ruger left out.
Sure they will fix it, but who wants to send back a new gun, especially if you paid too much for it in the first place.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Grand Member

300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute300WM has a reputation beyond repute

What are you willing to spend? When I worked for Honda, we sold a model called the S2000 (it's intro year). On the bump sticker, it was clearly marked at the bottom, "Additional Dealer Profit". We sold everyone that came in and most were sold before they arrived. What a good deal to you may be a rim job to someone else. You is all that matters.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM

(Montgomery County)
Shadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond reputeShadowline has a reputation beyond repute

I had one in my hands at the Oaks gun show and would have bought it if it were priced lower. In this case I can tell you I felt the $800 price tag was too much. At$700 I would have bought it but the dealer said no way. He knew he had the only one at the show and would sell it to someone at $800 within minutes...and he was probably right. I just refused to be that guy.