Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Review

(Berks County)

Smile Glock 17 Review

I tried to post this review a few days ago but something was wrong.
    Anyway here you go my review of the 17 to add to our collection.

You cannot talk about handguns without the name Glock making an appearance. Glock is celebrating their 25th anniversary, while they don't have the legacy that Colt, Beretta and S&W enjoy they do have the endorsements of thousands of Police and Federal agencies. If that isn't enough to sway you into your first Glock purchase than there isn't much that would. I think that is enough disclaimer to start giving you my thoughts.

Glock Safe Action Pistols have model numbers that correlate with size and caliber. The Glock 17 was their first design and model. All of the specs can be found here: http://us.glock.com/products/model/g17

Chambered in 9x19mm the pistol is 8.03 in long, 5.43 inches tall and 1.18 inches wide. To some this is considerable in size but its size gives it the longer sight radius and more weight to absorb the recoil of 9mm caliber. For the last 5 years I have carried a 5" 1911 w/rail, a FNP-9, and a 6" S&W Model 29. For the most part I have carried the S&W 1911PD so the 17 is actually smaller and more appealing for me.

I'm going to take a moment and branch out here for a second. Carrying any sidearm requires you to develop a system to facilitate the carrying of that firearm. It is not natural to walk around with a pound or more of steel so people rely on various holster designs and the use of select clothing to make this more comfortable. Most of my daily wear includes a good gun belt, a button down or oversized shirt and pair of jeans sized a little big for the IWB option. Naturally the cooler months make it a bit easier to carry a larger gun but picking out the right fabrics and designs go a long way in the summer months.

With that being said I purchased the 17 knowing full well that I would carry it from time to time. Why would I choose the 17 over the 19? The grip size fits my hands better, the capacity is a big bonus and finally the price point appeals to my frugal side.
    I purchased a brand new 3rd Generation Glock 17 for $489. The inspection date on the papers in the box were 1/23/2012. There has been a lot of buzz on the interenet about the 4th gen models but that really didn't play to much into my thought process. I just wanted an unfired NIB Glock that I could evaluate without second guessing what the PO did with the gun.
    Overall I feel the gun is well balanced, it has an acceptable trigger pull and it points very well. I feel it shines with a squared off combat stance but I have to make the slightest of effort with a modified weaver stance.
    I have medium to large sized palms and shorter fingers but the grip is comparable with most double stack side arms. The trigger has the Glock Safe Action lever. I have very limited experience with Glock but getting used to the trigger isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. For the moment I will be carrying in a Crossbreed Qwik Clip.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/QwikClip/tabid/93/List/0/ProductID/5/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
    I highly endorse these holsters. The Supertuk and Qwik Clip make carrying a large gun very comfortable and when the weather gets warm IWB gets real appealing.

Onto the range time!

I loaded the first mag with 15 rounds of American Eagle Brass 115gr FMJ.
    Below is the first 15 rounds this gun has ever fired outside of factory testing. All shots fired squared off combat stance at 15 yards.

Dry firing gets you so far. I wasn't really impressed but again, this barrel has zero break in, and I have never shot this before. For a combat gun I'll take it.

I spent some time just putting rounds down range. One handed, left handed, prone and kneeling. Limp wristed a few rounds and the only result was a few black marks in my Miami Dolphins cap from flying empties. Since I couldn't get a jam I decided to use a piece of spent brass to practice a tap and rack drill. It fed the spent brass and ejected it without concern. I was hoping for a double feed or stove pipe but after thee attempts I gave up. The serations on the slide are ample enough and the grip angle is very conducive for these drills. I know its a Glock and they have a reputation for reliability but everyone makes a bad bullet every once in a while and you have to train to deal with it.

After 200 rounds the clouds started rolling in so I finished up my time with a short drill.
    At 15 yards I stand facing the target, gun in the holster. On command I draw and fire one shot using only my right hand, then I take a step in a diagonal direction and fire four shots using two hands. The result:

I noticed that all of my groups seems to the left of center. Drawing a shape on the target didn't correct this so either I have to work on my trigger or I need to drift the sights.

Overall I am pleased. This is a great combat focused pistol, the pistol runs and runs well. Its accurate enough for a carry or duty gun and the fit and finish is extremely durable.

Bravo Glock! I don't think I'll be selling my 1911 anytime soon but I have found an economical high capacity semi auto that I will carry on a regular basis.

If you have any questions or comments please share them.

Stay Safe,
    DP

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock 17 Review

Nice review. I owned one before, liked it for what it was. Eventually, I moved on to bigger and better guns, caliber-wise for cc.

(Lackawanna County)

Nice write up....my advice....dont drift the sights. Concentrate on your trigger finger placement and trigger break. Most new to glock shooters all seem to shoot them a bit left!

(Carbon County)

my 26 shot left for a few hundred rounds no matter what i did. after about 3 or 400 rounds it started shooting where it should, dont know why but i have the same problem with just about every gun i buy. i am right handed and dont know if lefties shoot to the right?

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    my 26 shot left for a few hundred rounds no matter what i did. after about 3 or 400 rounds it started shooting where it should, dont know why but i have the same problem with just about every gun i buy. i am right handed and dont know if lefties shoot to the right?

Provided your sight picture is correct, if you're a righty and have a habit of shooting to the left with every gun you buy, it's 99.99% guaranteed to be trigger control issues.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post

Hey KRM, i'm lefty and i shoot all my Guns to the right, first i thought it was me jerking the trigger, then i remembered that my right eye is weaker than my left, so idrifted all my guns to the left and i'm on target now.

OP , yes the G17 is an all time classic , its the gun that Put Glock on the map, it was the 17th Patent of Dr. Gaston Glock, thus the nomeclature Glock 17.

I bought one not because i needed a carry gun but because of what it is , when the history of Handguns is written years from now the G17 will be right up there.
    Enjoy, its a great Gun.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    Nice write up....my advice....dont drift the sights. Concentrate on your trigger finger placement and trigger break. Most new to glock shooters all seem to shoot them a bit left!
    I had this problem too. Try less finger on the trigger.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I bought one not because i needed a carry gun but because of what it is , when the history of Handguns is written years from now the G17 will be right up there.
    Enjoy, its a great Gun.
    Same here. Didn't buy it to carry, bought it for a good range gun for the family, and like you said "the history" of the gun. Just bought it (G17 Gen4) at the last gun show i went to. So far i like it.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the kind words.

I think most of you are correct, and that I will learn this new trigger system in time. I am used to SA and DA/SA so this is something that in the end will make me a better shooter.

I do love the history of this model, it ads to her character.

Ciao'

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Hey KRM, i'm lefty and i shoot all my Guns to the right, first i thought it was me jerking the trigger, then i remembered that my right eye is weaker than my left, so idrifted all my guns to the left and i'm on target now.
    It's your trigger press. I have a really weak eye as well and it does not dictate shot placement, only a bad trigger press or bad sight alignment does, save some weird circumstance.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast