Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: OK, Hi-Points, for real (and anonymous)

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never owned or fired one.

65 52.42%
  • I've heard the horror stories.

21 16.94%
  • I've had one blow up in my hand.

0 0%
  • A friend of a friend had one explode, killing and injuring dozens.

4 3.23%
  • I've had one that hiccuped, sent it back and it came back blueprinted w/ a free magazine to boot.

2 1.61%
  • I have one and it's a decent gun, whether or not I'll admit to owning one in public.

47 37.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Alright, Hi-Point

...bashers. In another thread, 3 out of 4 respondents are saying 'never buy Hi-Point' , but many will then praise the carbines...which are literally the same gun piece for piece except for the longer barrel and a stock...

It's poll time; tell the truth now!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Alright, Hi-Point

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here; I'll buy anything if the price is right.

I'd love to have a Hi Point carbine, if I could find a deal. However, I won't be spending the next spare $200 I have on one.

Ps, where's the poll?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lackawanna County)

Jeez, you're fast!

It took a few minutes to edit and post!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

How about owned the carbine. Hated it. Many will surely say it's such a good little gun for the money. Blah blah, it sucks. It's made out of pot metal, the top cover wasn't even drilled straight, or cut straight corner to corner... It holds 10 rounds and looks like dried monkey shit. It was reasonably accurate, and didn't fuck up. Everything else about it sucked. I thought it might be neat. A lot of people like them.

Not me.

No thank you. If the carbines are the ones worth praise, then I know all I need to know.

Where's the poll option for; "no" from real personal experience?

(Fayette County)

Ive never owned a Hi-Point but have shot the 9mm and the .45 models.

They are clunky and big,but every time I pulled the bang switch, it fired.

Here's some vids of a few guys really doing some crazy torture testing on a couple of Hi-Points.
    Honestly, I was amazed at how much torture those little guns could withstand.
    Im kind of a pistol snob, but hell. I wouldn't mind having a Hi-Point just to play around with I guess.
    However, I wouldn't carry it and put my life on the line with a Hi-Point.

This vid is the first of a series.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Pike County)

I never held one or fired one but I did a lot of reading and researched them, most people that actually own them are happy with it. They realize it will never be a $1k H&K but it's not a total turd in their mind either.

I bought my dad a 9mm carbine for Christmas a couple of years ago. He loves it. I thought it was ok. Wasn't fond of the cheek slap.

I have a friend that has a Hi-Point pistol in .380. I shot that thing. It was, um, special. It looked like crap, felt like crap, but it had zero recoil and always went bang. I figure it's a useful tool for what it is - a hammer that also, on occasion, shoots bullets.

I personally will never own one of their handguns.

1. They look like total crap. (Yes I realize this has no affects on their performance.)

2. I have heard the horror stories or magazines not fitting right. Magazines falling out all by themselfs.

Etc...

On the other hands I have heard nothing but praises and good stories about their carbines. Which I am willing to own as I feel a carbine in 9mm/40s&w/.45ACP is worth the small price they ask for them new or used.

I would buy one, Made in USA, Lifetime warranty for the life of the gun. Decent performance, inexpensive. Take the ugly girl out for a test drive, maybe you will like her enough to take her home. I have seen some pretty hideous examples from just about every other gun maker so just remember, its a freaking gun. I would trade my Davis .380 for one any day.
    Its just not on my short list of things to buy right now.

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: Alright, Hi-Point

Poor people have a right to self-defense, too - and often times, need it the MOST - so I wouldn't want to deny them afordable firearms, BUT... there but for the grace of God, I've never been in that position.

I can't speak to their technical capabilities, which I under are greater than a zip gun, and less than a Springfield 1911A1; neither can I evaluate them critically & recommend them as a "go to" gun, because anyone worried about such concerns, needs to understand that these endeavors are NOT inexpensive.

To find it discussed with any sort of seriousness along those lines - on a web board dedicated to such pursuits - seems... obtuse... at best. We KNOW what these guns are for, WHY they exist, and to the sorts of demographics they're marketed to... and MOST of us, AIN'T it.

What more then, can you say about them?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast