Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Sig p239 or kahr k40 for CC

I have narrowed my choices to the sig p239 and the Kahr K9 for my ccw. I am not a fan of polymer so i am hoping that I can get some feedback from those that have carried these handguns

Default Re: Sig p239 or kahr k40 for CC

Be aware that there are different trigger options for the P239 -- SA/DA, SRT (short reset), and DAK. May or may not influence your decision.

I like the Sig.

(Montgomery County)

I'm partial to the 239.

(Cumberland County)

I have a Kahr K40 Covert, which is a regular K40 with a chopped grip. It's an awesome gun. The Kahr is definitely 100% a lot slimmer than the Sig. Not bashing the Sig, actually shopping for a 239 myself. That being said the little bastard is snappy. If you're not accustomed to .40s&w recoil in a small package you may want to think twice about the Kahr. If you don't mind, I say go for it.

(Quick edit... Your title says K40, and your OP says K9... Which is it? I'm just gonna keep thinking it's the .40)

Usually I'm not a big fan of DAO guns that aren't Glocks. The Kahr however has changed me. The trigger is really fantastic. It's everything you've been told, for sure. I'm able to consistently hit 4 and 5 inch steel plates at 20 yards with it.

The Sig is a great gun too, there is definitely one in my near future (had to get a CZ first, because the shortest distance to the next gun is a long looping circle.)

I'd try to get my hands on both and compare them side by side. They really aren't very similar, in size or mode of operation. For being a single stack the 239 is a little... stout.

Some pics of my Kahr;

With a Glock 27 as comparison

With a Kel Tec P32 (Remember, the grip on my gun is chopped down to the size of the PM or MK series Kahrs.)

In my pants!

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

A couple months ago I picked up a P239 SAS Gen2 with the SRT and absolutely love it. It's the only compact gun that I've ever been able to put 100+ straight rounds through with no discomfort whatsoever. Not only is it comfortable to shoot, but it's as accurate as most of my full size guns.

In addition . . . when you hold the 239, it does feel stout. (great description rwb1500) However, the 239 is only noticeably larger than the K40 in the length and height departments. Now I'm comparing the numbers on Kahr's website to the measurements I just took of my gun with a set of calipers and postage scale, but you can get a good idea of the size difference here. (assuming Kahr's website specs are accurate unlike Sig's)
    239: Slide Width - .938", Total Length - 6.65", Total Height - 5.0", Total Weight w/empty mag - 27.5oz
    K40: Slide Width - .94", Total Length - 6.1", Total Height - 4.55", Total Weight w/empty mag - 26.0oz

I've never shot the K40, and I'm not sure how similar it shoots to the CW9, but I really didn't like the CW9 when I tried it out.
    Last edited by BionicMan; April 13th, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

(Fayette County)

You have to ask?
    Get the Sig!

Also, I prefer the DA/SA trigger.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Northumberland County)

I own a sig p226 with the Da/Sa srt trigger so I am used to the controls on the sig and I am a big sig fan but the Kahr has really intriged me with the size and I am a big fan of the stainless steel finish in Thanks RWB 1500 for the size comparisons. That is why I am considering the K40 over the MK40 In that the grip being a little longer I thought it would be a little more managable for the 40cal I own a Kel Tec p3at and I cant imagine shooting anything more than 380 out of it. Where as I own a Colt 1903 in 32cal that is similar in size to the Kahr k40 and think this could be comfortable.
    Last edited by siggy63; April 13th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by siggy63 View Post
    I own a sig p226 with the Da/Sa srt trigger so I am used to the controls on the sig and I am a big sig fan but the Kahr has really intriged me with the size and I am a big fan of the stainless steel finish
    You're welcome to try mine if you ever get near Harrisburg.

A Kahr is definitely going carry better then the Sig. Even the Sig fanboys have to admit that.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

The Sig Fan Boy here.

I don't have any experience with the K40, but I do have a PM9 (my only plastic gun). I'm very impressed with Kahrs quality and workmanship. I carry my PM9 more than any of my CCW's, which are mostly Sigs. If Sig had a PM9 sized 9mm when I was looking for one, I'd probably be carrying it.

Size and weight comparison between a P239 and K40 is very comparable. There really isn't any advantage or difference there.
    Price, quality, and CS also looks to be about a wash.

The main thing to keep in mind is the the Kahr is a DAO striker fired pistol. There is no second strike capability and if you don't like double action only guns, it won't be for you.

The Sig P239 as mentioned before has several different trigger options - mainly DA/SA and the DAK (double action only) and either one has second strike capability.
    There are also other options that you can get such as a short reach trigger (for smaller hands) and the short reset trigger (SRT) on the DA/SA models.

For me, I like the P239 with the DAK trigger. All of my CCW's are double action only guns because that's my preference.
    I've been messing around with Sigs for over 15 years, so that's why I prefer to carry and collect Sigs.

Guns are a very personal tool.
    As suggested before in this thread, I'd shoot both - side by side if at all possible. Make your decision on which gun fits you and that you shoot best.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast