Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB 1243 (Preemption Law Changes) Passes House NOW on to Senate - HELP needed

On Oct 6th HB 1243, just passed its third consideration in the House by a vote of 143-54. There are only a few days left to get this through the Senate and we're going to need YOUR help! CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:31 AM

(Blair County)
medsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best .357 revolver on a budget?

Looking to buy a revolver, mainly for range use and because I'd just plain like to own one. Was thinking about a .357, but would like to keep the cost around $600 if possible. I hear S&W makes some really good ones, and Taurus are fairly cheap but I dunno about the reliability. Also, .38sp can be shot with a .357, correct? Size isn't much of an issue as I doubt I'd CC it.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:40 AM

(Cumberland County)
jachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond reputejachrist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

maybe check out Dan Wesson also. I'd take one of them over a taurus any day.

Smith and Wesson would be my first pick ("686+" model for 7 round capacity) though given your budget of $600

I personally am not a fan of Ruger, but I have heard good things about the GP-100.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM

(Dauphin County)
beastlymoose is an unknown quantity at this point

i just bought a Taurus model 66 6 inch. i couldn't be happier for the $400 i spent. 7 round wheel ans surprisingly accurate...
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:30 AM

ZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant futureZombieTom has a brilliant future

I just bought an older Taurus before they put the key locks on them. I paid $300 and I'm very happy.

The Taurus is a good low budget option, but don't expect to get much in resale value..

Also, as a side tip, stay away from the stainless. It just gets really dirty after you shoot it.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Banned

(Allegheny County)
The_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_War_Wagon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to The_War_Wagon
Thumbs up Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

I've never had an issue with my Taurus 605's. Great little pocket pistols I can literally - carry in a pocket - in my shorts in the summertime. Perfect for when you have to run to the store quickly, and don't feel like strapping into a 1911 and putting a suit on to conceal it.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:27 AM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Dauphin County)
GonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoGeezer has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought a New Ruger GP100, 4" stainless, under $550. I looked at S&W and Taurus but for me the look, feel, design, and fit & finish of the Ruger was superior to the Taurus. Plus I felt those Taurus barrel ports add noise, flash, and more stuff to clean. The S&W is a better gun than the Ruger, but not better than the price difference suggests. Trigger is nicer out of the box, but my Ruger is getting better every time I take it to the range. I also think the Ruger design (no side plate) is stronger than the other two.

All three are well-made guns and should give years of dependable service. Part of the fun of picking yours is having so many choices to consider! Good Luck.
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
rwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
maybe check out Dan Wesson also. I'd take one of them over a taurus any day.

Smith and Wesson would be my first pick ("686+" model for 7 round capacity) though given your budget of $600

This. You can get a used 686 for cheap too. I saw one in the classifieds for $ 450.
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:22 AM

(Blair County)
medsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond reputemedsteele has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a quick search at east coast, and it seems the Taurus is definitely the cheapest option. They have a 4" blued model 66 for $375. They also have a stainless S&W 686 for $681. I like the looks of the Taurus. Might have to go check it out. They also have a Ruger G100 in .327 Fed Mag for $520, but no .357. I'll check Campbell's and East Coast here soon, look at a few models.

Also, no one really answered this, but can you use .38 special in a .357 mag? I thought I read you could, and that would make range shooting a little more comfortable over the long haul.
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM

psusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond reputepsusra112 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
Just did a quick search at east coast, and it seems the Taurus is definitely the cheapest option. They have a 4" blued model 66 for $375. They also have a stainless S&W 686 for $681. I like the looks of the Taurus. Might have to go check it out. They also have a Ruger G100 in .327 Fed Mag for $520, but no .357. I'll check Campbell's and East Coast here soon, look at a few models.

Also, no one really answered this, but can you use .38 special in a .357 mag? I thought I read you could, and that would make range shooting a little more comfortable over the long haul.
Yes, you can use .38spl in a .357 mag chambered firearm, just not the other way around.

I'd take a look at the Ruger SP101. The 2.5" barrel is great for a heavier pocket carry, where the 4" is pretty nice for the range. Great fit/finish on the firearm.
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM

(Bucks County)
Jim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond reputeJim8300 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
Yes, I shoot 38 specials out of my 357's all the time. You just have to clean out the carbon ring from shooting 38's.