Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 15th, 2011

(Delaware County)
Foofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond reputeFoofer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 pistol review (Seecamp 380 clone)

Excellent review. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 15th, 2011

(York County)
GreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond reputeGreenBlood10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 pistol review (Seecamp 380 clone)

Thank you for the review! Great pictures to add.

GB
Old January 15th, 2011
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
CHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond reputeCHEMICAL has a reputation beyond repute

This is an awesome post and it looks to be an even more awesome little gun. Thanks for the info!
Old October 29th, 2011

(Lancaster County)
Sharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter9x19 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sharpshooter9x19

This was a VERY well done review! So much so I picked up an MPA Protector yesterday. Thank you for the very thorough job. Anyone have holster and ammo recommendations? Anything that it will/won't feed well? Will seecamp holsters fit this pistol?
Old January 18th, 2012

Starliterancher is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdy from Texas!

I just picked up a "Protector" and was doing some research and came across this thread. I realize it is about a year old (and I am a newbie) but this of the few reviews I could find by an actual owner. Mine is an earlier serial number, used but minty, but looks identical to the one posted with the execption of the 'Rev B' trigger kit, which adds an improved SS trigger, composite finger extension for the bottom of the mag and a slightly modified mag release that mates up with the new mag extension. To existing owners they sell the kits for $20. I believe the mods are now standard issue.

I tried to contact MPA and ask them a few questions but got voice mail saying that their offices are closed until after the SHOT show in Vegas.

To date I haven't fired it yet. The seller was a restaraunt owner/manager who purchased it for personal protection had only fired half a box through it and then carried it. Not the smartest thing to do in my opinion. MPA recommends 100 rds for initial break in.

I did follow the manual's instruction and broke the gun down and did a little clean up of the old residue and actually applied light gun oil at slide friction points. It does take a bit of pressure (using a punch) to make the slide release move, but when it does everything comes apart quickly and easily. From all 'appearances' this does look like a nice little pocket pistol.

After I take it out and feed it I will post the results.
Old January 18th, 2012

(York County)
Beardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond reputeBeardog has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Starliterancher,
I would like to hear your report...And also Sharpshooters as well.

I bumped into this thread a little while ago while searching for info on a Seecamp 380 for my father...Ended up finding out about the MPA 380 and for the $ and apparent quality construction, I am not sure why there isn't more interest in these??? I have a LCP so don't really need it, but may have to pick one up just because sometime, if they run well.
Old January 18th, 2012

group17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond reputegroup17 has a reputation beyond repute

Had the opportunity to shoot one at the range. DA Trigger pull was hard and boy does it hurt the hand. I wasn't very accurate with it thru 2 mags. Great sized weapon for CC. All the best with yours!
Old January 18th, 2012

Well, took it to the woods and fed it some Winchester 95gr WinClean BEB rounds. This gun it tiny, but it barks pretty darn good!

I couldn't wait to try it out so I whipped up a homemade target on a 2 x 12 piece of pine and took it to the woods. I fed it some WinClean (BEB) 95gr . Since I am not in the city limits and in an unicorporated area I can do this, but there are neighbors 40 or so acres away that will hear it so I do keep it limited.

I knew it was a DAO going in but the length of pull was longer than I anticipated. It was fairly easy (compared to others like the Kel-Tec) and smooth, but there is good amount of travel from trigger engage to hammer fall. Just my initial response, with practice it won't concern me.

I set the target up against a tree at 5 yds and gave it a 5 +1 cycle. Even with the 'groove' sight it was very easy to shoot and direct fire and in the accuracy department gets high marks from me. Getting used to the trigger pull and break point action will improve my marks. I really want to take this to the range and just go through a box doing some instinctive point shots because IF I ever do have to use it I will not be taking the time to acquire a sight picture using the groovey sights.

The only negative I experienced was the roughing up of the inside tip my trigger finger. It didn't gouge it or chafe it, more like numbed it. My trigger finger is a bit boney though (tip was nicked by an alternator's cooling blade back in the 70's) and is the first to ache when it's cold. I will have to try it off hand and see what it does to a soft fat finger.
Either way, I can tell you that the only range this gun was meant to be used at is "close". It is delivering a lot of energy from a small package so more than likely it is not going to be pleasant on either the sending or receiving end.

I set the target at 5 yards, (camera phone washed out my target lines)

[IMG][/IMG]

The circle is 4" for reference. Greatest shot to shot = 3.25"
[IMG][/IMG]

The 380 did a good job on the wood as well.....

Summary : I am very pleased with the initial performance of the MPA 380. I want to try out some JHP and see how it does. If it is as reliable as it has thus far demonstrated then it is a keeper for sure. The size and accuracy makes this an ideal deep carry or backup gun. At the $245 delivered to my driveway price, hard to beat.

I still want to contact MPA directly and ask them about the recoil springs. I read another reviewer that said the springs need to be changed out every 200 rounds. Not a big deal at $2 ea. and seeing as how you will have them in your hand every time you break it down for a good cleaning. I just want to know if the statement is accurate. If so, then I shall have my 'carry' set of springs that will be fresh and low mileage and my 'practice' springs which I will install when I practice every once in a blue moon.
Final photo showing the pistol and target :

Last edited by Starliterancher; January 19th, 2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add another photo
Old January 19th, 2012

Did some work on the pocket monster today.
I got to comparing the origingal trigger vs. the 'REV B' trigger upgrade which is on the pistol and noted that the original trigger, while being shorter, had a much better overall finish.

So, I took it down, removed the Rev B trigger and went over it at some of the rougher edges with a jewelers file and then some emery paper.

Here is photo of the trigger and the areas I focused on. The center arc area was pretty smooth but there were some pretty sharp edges at the very top and very bottom. Not much...but in this little beast little things add up when blowback cycles the trigger forward.

Another thing I did was fashion my own little block of wood to substitue for the mag while taking it down. OEM procedure is to pull slide back and insert the back of the mag into the gap locking it open. This exact width lines the slide up with the slide release pin....so you can press it and remove the slide.
I only have one mag....got lots of wood.

Put it all back together and it does feel a bit smoother overall. You don't think those extreme points matter, and on larger guns they probably don't. But when this one breaks over your finger is all the way back and wrapped. Then it gets slapped forward in a 'flash'....(couldn't resist). The orignial trigger was short and was eating some finger food from time to time. Not good.
So they put together a mod for the mag (extension grip) and whipped out a longer trigger. Only I think it was such a 'rush job' to get it out there it didn't get the same TLC the original trigger did. Just my guess.

Now, need to feed some JHP to the pocket monster and see how it does!
Old June 15th, 2012

opr1945 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was in LGS last week came across one of these. I really like the way it looked. looked well made. Felt good in my hand. Had some Kel Tec's. but this felt better.

found this thread and like it, except all the pictures from the early posts are gone. wished I could have seen them.

Laid it away. looking forward to shooting it in the future.

thanks.