Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM

(Chester County)
MagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond repute
Question Para Ordnance 1911 A1?

What are these worth & are they worth owning? Local shop has a used one for $400.
I was looking to find another used RIA 1911, but coming up empty so if this is a deal I may have to snag it.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Grand Member

Pagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Para Ordnance 1911 A1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
What are these worth & are they worth owning? Local shop has a used one for $400.
I was looking to find another used RIA 1911, but coming up empty so if this is a deal I may have to snag it.
What are the sights on the Para. I picked up a Para GI Expert becuase i didnt want have the change out the mil style sights on the RIA. My para came with an okay set of three dot sights.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM

(Chester County)
MagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
What are the sights on the Para. I picked up a Para GI Expert becuase i didnt want have the change out the mil style sights on the RIA. My para came with an okay set of three dot sights.
I do not recall so let's assume they are the worst sights they can come w/from the factory.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:11 AM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
Berks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond reputeBerks_Iraq_Vet has a reputation beyond repute

I have the GI Expert. Nice, tight, accurate pistol. Sights are excellent, for me.
I just swapped out the mags with Kimbers. I also replaced the black plastic grips with rosewood ones. Very happy with it.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM

MikeC53 is on a distinguished road

I 've been shooting a Para Ordnance P16 for about 5 years in local USPSA matches. I find it to be well made and reliable but did make alot of changes over the years. I changed the hammer, sear and trigger and added a Dawson magwell. It shoots as good as those similar 1911 style pistols that cost upwards of $2,000. I paid $800 for mine new with one mag 5 years ago. I have no complaints as far as Para Ordnance pistols go. Hoow does it look as far as wear or abuse? You may have found a decent 1911 that you can always upgrade later on.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
mrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have a Gi but i have these 2 Paras Tac-s and LTC, excellent firearms that have yet to fail , but bear in mind that thet are the second most hated 1911's right behind Taurus.

There are people on here who will tell you with a strait face that primitive RIA is better than a Para.

I wouldnt hesitate to get another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sporting these 015.jpg (472.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg sporting these 020.jpg (534.8 KB, 21 views)
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM

MikeC53 is on a distinguished road

I cn't afford some of the "hand fitted" 1911s. The Para will do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para P16.jpg (55.5 KB, 10 views)
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
mrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond repute

Look up the video on you tube of Todd Jarret torture testing the Gi by firing 1000 rounds of ammo through it non-stop.

It is rumored that thier Customer service is poor . I cant say it is because i never had to use it.
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Grand Member

Pagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond reputePagoda240 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my PARA , After 1000rd+ of steel and brass rounds. I have only had 2 malfunctions and they were when the gun was spanking new and I was using chip 10rd mags.

Since then she has run like butter. Only down side I have seen so far is the finish is not the best. I run a bunch of kydex holsters and pretty much try to spend an hr a week practicing my draw and dry fire drills and you can see a lot of wear.