Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Pistols

Notices

Pistols Want to talk pistols? Here's the place.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Grand Member

(Schuylkill County)
NikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default S&W Bodyguard .38 reviews..

Anybody have any reviews on it? I'm looking into getting a new snubby, and the Bodyguard .38 really catches my eye, and feels good in the hand. I don't particularly care for the way you activate the laser, but it's a minute point. I like the way it handles and all... But I haven't heard much feedback on these yet.. (I tried searching)

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 16th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
Steve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_NEPhila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S&W Bodyguard .38 reviews..

There are tons of reviews all over the interwebz... your google-fu must be weak today.
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Grand Member

(Schuylkill County)
NikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
There are tons of reviews all over the interwebz... your google-fu must be weak today.
I'm talking about here.. I don't care what Richard in Wyoming, or Tina in Arizona has to say.. I'm looking for personal reviews on here from people who have used them.
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Cumberland County)
cruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond reputecruzans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
I'm talking about here.. I don't care what Richard in Wyoming, or Tina in Arizona has to say.. I'm looking for personal reviews on here from people who have used them.
I've shot one - have seen some reviews on here, most seem postitive. I opted not to get one because I thought it looked a bit strange - and like you said, a horrible position for the laser on. I don't know why S&W didn't put the on switch in the grip on both the 38 and the 380. I bought the BG 380 and had to send it back 3 times to get the laser switch fixed so it would turn on. After that, I am ok with the gun, but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback - my bottom line was that for the price, I think I could do better with a LCR or a nice airweight s&w. But if you are good with the looks, the on switch and the price - I personally don't think you can go wrong with it as far as reliability. Good luck.
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Grand Member

(Schuylkill County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
I've shot one - have seen some reviews on here, most seem postitive. I opted not to get one because I thought it looked a bit strange - and like you said, a horrible position for the laser on. I don't know why S&W didn't put the on switch in the grip on both the 38 and the 380. I bought the BG 380 and had to send it back 3 times to get the laser switch fixed so it would turn on. After that, I am ok with the gun, but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback - my bottom line was that for the price, I think I could do better with a LCR or a nice airweight s&w. But if you are good with the looks, the on switch and the price - I personally don't think you can go wrong with it as far as reliability. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm considering the 637 as well, but I kinda like the way the bodyguard feels and all. If I'd get the 637, I'd have to get a different grip to fit my larger hands right... the BG seems to be a bit longer. I'm not sure yet, I'm kinda torn..
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM

(Columbia County)
plumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
Anybody have any reviews on it? I'm looking into getting a new snubby, and the Bodyguard .38 really catches my eye, and feels good in the hand. I don't particularly care for the way you activate the laser, but it's a minute point. I like the way it handles and all... But I haven't heard much feedback on these yet.. (I tried searching)

I can give you a little info on this gun. not a very good first impression at all. see link below

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...r-already.html (Smith & Wesson Bodyguard going in for warranty repair already)

Last edited by plumbcrazy; October 16th, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM

(Columbia County)
plumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant futureplumbcrazy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback .
The trigger is the same way on th bodyguard ( very long and squishy pull )
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM

(Monroe County)
Capt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond reputeCapt Quahog has a reputation beyond repute

What's that contraption on the side up by the hammer area? Hope they didn't install some sort of politically correct extra added safety nazi device.

Had a couple of those hidden hammer five shot S&W revolvers years ago. One was the blue steel version and the other as recalled . . . stainless. Nifty little gun that was highly concealable. Had a holster setup inside a boot that worked pretty good. If the gun was carried in a pant pocket, one needed to make sure that some dime didn't find it's way down into the slot and jam up the hammer. Nice piece for personal protection.
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM

BlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBlueGunGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
What's that contraption on the side up by the hammer area? Hope they didn't install some sort of politically correct extra added safety nazi device.

Had a couple of those hidden hammer five shot S&W revolvers years ago. One was the blue steel version and the other as recalled . . . stainless. Nifty little gun that was highly concealable. Had a holster setup inside a boot that worked pretty good. If the gun was carried in a pant pocket, one needed to make sure that some dime didn't find it's way down into the slot and jam up the hammer. Nice piece for personal protection.
uhhh... you referring to the built in laserthat comes stansard?
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM

TJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
uhhh... you referring to the built in laserthat comes stansard?

Either that, Or the Cylinder release button that is in place where a hammer would normally be. Makes it a little easier for the Left Handed crowd.

For the money, it appears to be a good buy as a laser usually adds $200 to the cost of any gun. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's worth the money.

FWIW I had a 637 that my wife 'borrowed' ~ The 637 was a very good gun, but I understand a lot of people aren't crazy about the exposed hammer. I replaced my S&W with a Ruger LCR which I really like and would think the S&W BG comes pretty close to copying sans laser.

I recently aquired a Colt Detective Special which could possibly become my New favorite.

~ TJB