Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default The Springfield XDM in .45 ACP

Well, I got rid of all of my .40 caliber pistols, (Glock 22 and Glock 27) and bought a Springfield XDM in .45 and a Kahr Arms CW45. So far, I have been able to shoot the XDM. Here are my thoughts, worth everything you'll pay for them:

The pistol comes in an awesome, tough little case. Included in the case is a paddle right-handed holster and double magazine pouch, with belt loops. Pros, the gun comes ready to carry out of the box. Cons, the gun only comes with one spare magazine, so you wind up starting off with an empty mag holder on one side, unless the dealer has a magazine in stock.

The weapon, of course, comes with 13 round magazines. I like the concept of a high-capacity .45 ACP. To me, and only in my humble opinion, this kinda solves the whole "Do you need high capacity, but small, bullets, or just a few big bullets?" argument. With that said, the gun also comes with interchangeable back-straps, which I measured. I found that the new pistol is just as wide around as the 1911 that I've been carrying for the last 3 years. 14.5 mm around for both. But I do have Hogue rubber grips on my 1911s. Because of the grip safety on the XDM, the "Handall" is not recommended.

The magazines for the pistol fit into the double magazine carrier I already own for my .40 caliber Glocks. Let me say that again. My 13 round .45 ACP steel magazines fit into the magazine holders that I already own for my 15 round .40 caliber Glocks. I really, really, like that.

I took the gun to a local range, and ran about 150 rounds through it. This was a very informal shooting session, not measured in distance, but about 10 yards from the target, which was a standard issue human silhouette. My first 13 round group, fired off-hand, without a rest, punched a fist-sized hole in the center of the target, right at point of aim. My second 13 round group punched another fist-sized hole into the head of the target. The gun shoots as well as the operator will allow it. I fired some rapid-fire groups to see if I could get the gun to malfunction, and was unsuccessful in doing so. The only problem that I had with the gun was if I slowly worked the slide, the case of the bullet would lodge under the extractor, and I'd have to either use my finger to dislodge it, or in the one case, I lost my grip on the slide, and the bullet was re-chambered.

All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase, and once I find a duty holster for it, it will ride my hip every day.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: The Springfield XDM in .45 ACP

Good post bigbear~ I currently have a XDm in 9mm and I really like it. I also have an XDcompact with tactical slide and I also like it but I think I am going to sell it and get the XDm 45! I also understand that my mags for my XD will work with the XDm. This is a big factor on me switching to XDm.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Good post bigbear~ I currently have a XDm in 9mm and I really like it. I also have an XDcompact with tactical slide and I also like it but I think I am going to sell it and get the XDm 45! I also understand that my mags for my XD will work with the XDm. This is a big factor on me switching to XDm.
    XD compact with a tactical slide?

XD mags don't work in the XDm. I don't know where you heard that but it is not true, at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Cambria County)

The 45acp comes with the compact grip(10 rds) and you can use the 13rd also.This was the only caliber they did this with I think.The 45acp mags can be interchanged also.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DougX View Post
    The 45acp comes with the compact grip(10 rds) and you can use the 13rd also.This was the only caliber they did this with I think.The 45acp mags can be interchanged also.
    The XD 45 Compact is the ONLY compact in the XD/m series.
    The XD 45 Compact retained the full 5 inch barrel standard on tactical models, but had a shortened grip, and subsequently lessened capacity, to allow for easier concealed carry.

They follow the assignations for the XD line are tactical > service > sub-compact.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    XD compact with a tactical slide?

XD mags don't work in the XDm. I don't know where you heard that but it is not true, at all.
    In .45 and .45 only, the XD magazines WILL fit the XDm. That was a design feature that Springfield adopted. My 3rd magazine clearly stated that it was for the XD in .45, but it fits my XDm without a problem.

I cannot speak for the 9mm or .40.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    In .45 and .45 only, the XD magazines WILL fit the XDm. That was a design feature that Springfield adopted. My 3rd magazine clearly stated that it was for the XD in .45, but it fits my XDm without a problem.

I cannot speak for the 9mm or .40.
    Tis true IIRC. ONLY in .45 though. Which is why I have no desire to buy an XDM. My XD is 9mm, so all the cash I've spent on gear for it would go down the drain.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Tis true IIRC. ONLY in .45 though. Which is why I have no desire to buy an XDM. My XD is 9mm, so all the cash I've spent on gear for it would go down the drain.
    My understanding from Springfield is my one year old 9mm sub compact mags fit the XDM

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    My understanding from Springfield is my one year old 9mm sub compact mags fit the XDM
    Impossible.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    If I had 9 or 40 I would make the same decision but since I have the 45 I think I will make the switch. I am lucky the 45 mags are interchangable and I have about 6 since I use it for IDPA and USPSA.

The only thing I don't like about my XD is the grip. I currently have an A Grip on it and I like it. I really like the XDm grip!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast